Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Aleta peered at James over the top of a textbook. Her kissing him had worked well as a distraction; Libby was too busy gapping at them to stay mad. She had also been informed, by a severely shell shocked Ivy, that her name was now on the kissed list. This temporary relief was soon replaced by the disgust with herself. She had, essentially, sacrificed her friendship with James to get on a stupid list.

When they pulled away, the courtyard was dead silent. All Aleta could see in his eyes was confusion. She got scared, and ran. Now 3 weeks had passed and it was December.

Professor Longbottom had come around asking for the names of people who were going to stay. Alec was staying, his parents were in Mongolia apparently, and Libby’s younger sister Mary, who had a problem with their relatives. Aleta on the other hand, wasn’t sure.

She refused to go to her Dad’s because she always got shoved in a corner and also, she knew none of his friends. She was pretty sure that she didn’t want to intrude on her uncle’s house, no matter how much she had grown to like Iago. Then, one day at breakfast, she received a letter that pretty much sealed her choice.

It was surprising to see a large flashy tropical looking bird swoop in with the owls. It was even more surprising for Aleta when it landed in front of her. It let out a soft musical cry and dropped a letter on her plate.

“Uh… Thanks?” She said. The bird took off. Looking around, Aleta realized she had gained an audience. “What?” She demanded angrily. Most of the gapping people turned away. Aleta opened the letter, recognizing her mom’s handwriting. She read through it once. And then again.

Libby watched her carefully from across the table. She didn’t look very happy. Her face turned pale as she read the letter over a third time. Then with a choked noise, she got up and ran, leaving the letter behind.

“Aleta!” Libby yelled, standing up. She wasn’t the only one. James had stood up too, looking worried. He hurried over to Libby.

“What happened?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” Libby said. “She read the letter and then ran.” James snatched the letter from where it lay.

“’Dear Aleta,’” He read softly, so only Libby could hear him. “’I’m very sorry but you cannot come home for Christmas. I have met a man and the two of us have gone to the Caribbean’s together. If all goes well, he might ask me to marry him and you might have a new father. I will contact you later. Sincerely, Your Mother.’” James looked angry. So angry, that Libby took a step back. “That little,” James muttered, looking furious. “What kind of a person just dumps it on their kid that they might be getting married? Just like that?” He half yelled. “Has she ever written to Aleta before?”

“Not that I know of,” Libby replied. “James, I know you want to help her but right now she is really upset and the best thing to do is to let her be.”

“But!” James protested.

“I know you want to talk to her but right now she needs someone who understands her situation. Where’s Iago?” She asked firmly. James pointed to where Iago was sitting, surrounded by his friends. Libby quickly hurried over to him. Instead of saying anything, she just handed him the letter. He scanned through it and then looked up at her.

“Tia’s getting married?” He asked.

“Boy, are you slow.” Libby mumbled. “Yeah and Aleta’s all,”-here she gestured with her hands-“about it so can you help us. You probably know her better than us.

“No I don’t but I do know that she is pissed beyond belief and is probably flying and it is advisable to leave her alone.” James left before he had finished his sentence.

“He was never one to take advice.”

A/N: Okay, sorry for the dely. But I got something up!