Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Aleta, it turns out, wasn’t flying but she was in the Quidditch pitch. When James got there she was lying on the grass in the middle of the field, staring up at the sky. James crossed over the frosted grass to her. Okay yes, he made a (somewhat romantic) mad dash across the grounds but now that he was here, in front of her, he was vaguely terrified. Okay, not so vaguely. More like acutely.

“You read the letter.” She said. It wasn’t a question.

“Yes?” His reply was a question.

“So you know why I’m upset?” This time it was a question. She sat up and twisted her body to look at him. He sat down.

“And have you formed an opinion on this whole thing?” She said the word thing with malice, like it was the worst word she could use to describe this situation.

“Yeah.” He replied, oh so articulately.

“And what is it?” She asked. She wasn’t looking at him anymore; instead she was staring down the field to the stands.

“I- uh…” James stammered. Would she be insulted by what he was about to say?

“Spit it out Potter.” Aleta sighed, hugging her knees slightly.

“I think your mom is a bit of a b-word.” James says suddenly. “I’ve talked to Iago and he told me she’s some big business woman but she keeps shoving you off and I don’t think that’s right, I mean, my friend told me about how his parents died before they got the chance to really talk to him and that sucks and your mom’s just shoving you to the side…” James was painfully aware that he was babbling. “I think- I’m not exactly an expert but- In my opinion-”

“Just say it Potter.” The girl snapped, staring him fiercely in the eye.

“My dad never knew his parents.” The scared Gryffindor blurts. “ They died when he was one and my friend Theo’s parents died in the second battle and both your parents are alive and capable of communicating with you and the don’t so they suck and you should just tell them to piss off.” Then James’s brain caught up with his tongue and he quickly added. “I mean not as rudely and you should probably wait until you’re of age and every-”

“James,” Aleta interrupted him half laughing. “Thank you.” She smiled warmly and James suddenly, wildly, wanted to hug her. So he did. And to his great relief she hugged him back. The relief only lasted a second before he realized she was shaking in her arms.

“Oh shit,” James cussed, pulling back slightly to look at her. “Did I say something wrong? Did I say something unintentionally insensitive? ’Cause Alec says I do that a lot.” To his surprise, Aleta was actually, legitimately laughing.

“What?” James demanded.  She only started laughing harder. “What?” His voice took a very unmanly high pitch which he ignored.

“It’s just…” Aleta giggled and now James was worried. “D-dan-dancing s-slytherins!” She gasped. James turned around and, sure enough, there are six Slytherins James can recognize from his potions class dancing not too far away. He can also see Alec and Fred standing close by.

“What are they singing?” James asked through his laughter

“I have no clue!” Aleta chuckled. “It sounds like French!”

“Well done mate!” James called over to Alec because he knows there is no way Fred could pull off such a complex charm. 

A/N: Sorry for the mega late update.