Stythl

I woke.

         Laying on the ground, the only way I can see is up. I see a clear blue sky flecked with little clouds.

         Next to my head is a long, narrow piece of wood. I see it in my peripheral vision.

         Slowly, I sit up. I’ve listened to enough bards sing to know it’s not a good idea to sit up fast.

         I fully sit up after a few minutes. I reach out slowly and take the narrow stick. I examine it.

         It’s a hollow tube. I recognize it as a Northern Isles invention. Having been there a few times, I recognize a favoured weapon of them.

         It’s an Isler’s take on an Imperial cannon. Smaller, easier to conceal, and faster to fire. Plus it requires no gunpowder.

         It shoots arrows slightly smaller than a normal arrow and they’re often dipped in a poison of some sort. And they’re usually just a sharpened twig weighted with a small stone in the front.

         On the inside there’s a gorse-sap string. Extremely stretchy, gorse-sap can be molded into just about anything. A gorse is a giant horse-like animal that looks like it’s made of gorse, hence the name.

         “I see you’ve woken.” A voice startles me from behind. It’s high and airy.

         I turn around on my butt. It’s a beautiful woman. She looks to be about twenty, maybe older.

         “Uhm…hi?” I say “What are you doing here, stalking me like this?”

         She laughs. It’s like bells jingling all around me. “I’m just making sure you’re alive.” Her voice is like a song blended with nature. I can’t get enough of it.

         “Who are you?” I ask, just to get her to talk some more.

         “Oh, just a passing stranger. I saw you run into a tree from a fair distance. You smacked that branch off the tree while you were at it.” Her voice is gold for me.

         “I ran into a tree…” I trail off. I am such an idiot. And this amazing woman had to watch me do it? She must think I’m an idiot.

         “My name’s Chrissy. Chrissy of the Dawn, as my people call me.” She says to me, her voice of molten gold making me shiver.

         “I’m Stythl Imogen.” I say. “I am no ruler. Just a traveling adventurer.”

         “Well, I would appreciate a guard. I’ll pay you handsomely for your assistance, as well.” Chrissy says. “I have a thousand gold coins ready for you if you join me as an escort.”

         I can’t really say no to a small fortune. Of course I am forced to say yes. That, and she’s absolutely gorgeous.

         “Yes.”