14 | Movie Night

14 | Movie Night

A wide grin spreads across my face as I spot Scarlett walking down the hall. Her oversized light grey t-shirt falls mid-thigh while tendrils of her vibrant hair cascade over her shoulder, flickering like fire to burning wood.

Scarlett stops beside me and glances to the ground. Her freckled cheeks flush pink as she suddenly produces a key. Dangling it in front of my face, Scarlett squeals with excitement.

"Does this mean I learn the grand secret?" she questions. Scarlett sways closer, her green eyes focusing on mine. "And by secret, I'm hoping it's a pillow fort."

My back falls against the wall with dismay.

"Please tell me you are joking," I whisper in response.

Scarlett gasps with hurt, "What is a sleepover party without a pillow fort?"

"A sleepover?" I answer.

"Mr. Davenport, you've got a lot of making up to do!"

She bumps her shoulder into mine as she closes in on the door. With a slight flick of her wrist, Scarlett unlocks the door and wanders inside. I carefully watch as she inspects the room. I know she's going to say something about it.

I've pushed the single beds together and rearranged the placement of the television so that it's at the foot of the bed instead of awkwardly crammed in the corner.

Instead of disturbing the silence, Scarlett leaps onto the closest single bed and sprawls out. Her oversized shirt hikes up from the sudden movement, revealing a pair of tight black shorts.

Within a heartbeat, Scar reaches for the plastic bowl resting on her bedside table. She rolls onto her back and rests the bowl on the middle of her belly.

"Are you comfortable there?" I ask.

"If you're really asking." She munches on a handful of popcorn. "I could go for a glass of milk to go with the chocolate I'm close to consuming." A cheeky smile wonders onto her pink lips.

"Would you be satisfied if we made a hot chocolate later?" I offer.

Scarlett nibbles on the bottom of her lip before nodding her head, "I like that idea."

"How about we watch that movie?" Since the television is as old as my grandmother, it doesn't have the option to insert a disk or pick up a channel connected to the twenty-first century.

We're stuck watching the only movie the station has on tonight. Funnily enough, it's a romance movie that's working in my favour.

"Sure, Pierce, what are we watching?" she inquires.

"It is a love story about a young couple falling in love," I reply.

If I keep dropping hints, maybe she'll get it?