20 | The Return

20 | The Return

Scarlett's flowing hair cascades over her shoulder like a red river. It frames her innocent face which makes me wonder, is she dreaming about something? I'm always curious about the thoughts that capture her mind, even more so now. Soft snores escape her parted pink lips which allows the car to be filled with that sound.

The sound brings a smile to my lips. It's nice to see Scarlett looking relaxed, even for this fleeting moment. I turn down the radio before turning off to another street. Soon enough, we'll be safe and Scarlett won't have to worry about gangs or death.

As I drive over a bump, Scarlett's head is knocked into the window. Her eyes spring open as she gasps with surprise.

"Where are we?" she mutters. "This all looks very strange."

"I suppose suburbia would look strange to you." I chuckle. "But don't worry, we're almost there."

Scarlett frowns with confusion, "And where is that?"

I fish an electric controller from my pocket and press the button. As we get further down the road, a set of raw iron gates begin to open. There's no groaning or creaking which makes a difference.

Her green eyes go wide open from the sight of the house. The gravel crunches under the car tyres as we approach the front entrance of the house. I tug on the break stick and turn the engine off.

"We're at home," I answer.

"Your parent's house?" She gasps. "Why are we here?"

"Don't you remember?" I chuckle. "You suggested I let my parents know I'm okay."

"And-"

"I thought this would be the best way, in person."

Scarlett slides down her chair, hiding her face from the view of the window.

"The last time I saw your mother, I lied to her."

"I'll tell her it's my fault or that I came back for you." I shrug. "Just don't worry about it."

Scarlett sighs. "I don't think that will work."

"You need to worry less," I say.

"Pierce," she grumbles.

I leave Scarlett hiding in the car while I grab our bags. They're heavy, but I sling it over my shoulder and reach for the suitcase. It's hard to drag the case along the ground, but it's easier on my back.

Once I make it to the white marble stairs, I place the suitcase on the step and walk back to the car. Tugging on the door handle, I open the car and peek inside. Scarlett scrambles to move into the back seat, but her arm is caught on the seatbelt.

"Are you planning on coming inside or staying out here all night?" I question.

Scarlett slumps into her seat, a frown overcoming her face. She hesitantly pokes her foot outside, then places her feet on the chalky grey gravel. I take her hand and pull her out of the car. She quickly tugs on her black shirt, straightening out her shirt.