Chapter 1

tessa 

Tessa's mind was racing. Her heart beating. William Herondale had just proposed to her. Should she say no? Is it wrong that she's getting married after James had become a Silent Brother?

She doesn't know wether to say yes, or no. If Jem was ever cured, would he even bear to talk to her? Will Will ever talk to her if she disagrees with the engagement? 

"Tessa?" asks Will. "Tessa. Are you okay?". He slowly holds her hand, holding her soft shivering hand in his hand. It was a really cold morning, mid-winter, a few days just before Christmas. 

"Will, I'm not ready yet," she says softly. "I need more time to think after what had happened with Jem." She sighs and walks back inside. 

Tessa couldn't bear with the fact that she had been engaged to Jem just a few months before. She knows Jem wanted her and Will to be happy with each other, and wants them to be together. Not that she doesn't like Will, although. It was just hard for her, since she's been liking both boys, for a long time.

 Will is like fire. Always burning up a room, lighting it up. Making it exciting and fiery. Yet always ending up with problems and issues. 

Jem, on the other hand was like iced. He was so relaxed and would always flow around ever so softly. He was so fragile and could easily be cracked, and broken. He always cools down Will, and cannot be without him.

Tessa loves both boys. She cannot pick between one. She knows the obvious choice would be Will, because Jem is now a Silent brother. 

But she cannot choose.

 She cannot choose.

She has no choice.

NO

          CHOICE.

In her perspective Jem becoming and Silent brother is her fault. Jem running out of Yin Fen is her fault. Mortmain is her fault. Will keeps telling her it isn't, yet she believes otherwise.

Will is broken because of her. After Jem's decent into the Brotherhood, Will could not function. He didn't eat, speak, train or do anything for weeks. Cecily, Gabriel, Gideon, everyone tried talking to him. He just wouldn't. 

Yet finally he gets over the grief [which they all know shouldn't be there, as Jem isn't dead] and proposes to Tessa. 

She pretty much rejects him.

He understands.

Right?

    I  

        G

              H

                    T

                           ?

                                 !

He does. Will understands. He is still grieving Jem, and so is she. 

Well my first chapter! Enjoying the story so far? Sure got some plot for you! Don't forget to vote and comment! I'm sorry for writing a short chapter, I've got exams all week! :/ thanks! 

~Ana ☽