Chapter Five

It feels as if I just barely closed my eyes when Aubrey is shaking my shoulder. "Eva, we're here." I rub my eyes and sit up as a sign comes into view 802 Grace Lane it says, made of pure marble. Lights are on in the front, the solar powered ones. My mouth opens in awe. "Wow," I whisper. Aubrey smiles. "Welcome to my casa. Now come on! A warm bath is calling your name!" I sigh at the thought of getting clean. I open my door and get out. Aubrey flouncing up the steps humming to herself. "After your bath, there will be a nice meal waiting too! What can I say, I love to cook." She called back to me. I was still amazed at her house it was a lovely peach color and reminded me of a cottage. Ivy was growing up it, and beautiful flowers lined the walkway. I walked slowly to the front. Her house must look stunning during the day.

Her front porch even looked gorgeous. Wood flooring pretty wooden posts twisted up, holding the elegant little roof over the front door. The main roof was pretty as well. Dark blue. I smiled. Such a pretty house. "You haven't even seen the inside yet," the snotty girl said to me. I still didn't like the feeling of two voices besides. My own communicating with me. If anything it creeped me out a little bit.

Come on Eva!" Aubrey said. "Ok! Coming" I said running up the three steps and into the house. But I hit a solid brick wall. Hard and it threw me back, I went through one of the front porch posts and through her marble sign. Breaking them both. I landed on my feet just to lose my balance and fall. My butt hitting the ground hard. Pieces of wood and marble were around me. Some stuck in my hair. Aubrey sprinted out of her house her face full of worry. Then shock when she saw me on my butt, a wooden post and her marble sign broken.

She looked terrified. I would be too. I don't know what was wrong with me but so far I was hit by a car, left uninjured, broke a wooden post and a marble sign. And still not injured. "Um..." I said standing up. "What's wrong with me?" I asked Aubrey. Before she could answer the kind girl said "Nothing my sweet. You're just different. You'll find out soon enough who you are." the snotty girl said, "I agree with her."

Aubrey approached me, helped me up and we went to the front door. She stepped through easily, but if I tried to get in, I was thrown back a little. "Aubrey? Seriously. Why can't I get in?"

"I...I don't know." then she tilted her head to the side, her eyes went blank and she started mouthing words. Then nodded. "Eva, will you please come in?" she said "Um..." I reached my hand through the doorway, no resistance. I slowly stepped in. still no resistance. "I knew it," Aubrey whispered.

Before I could even get a good look around she ushered me to the bathroom. I instantly smelled lavender. She lit candles, and dried lavender floated on the water in the claw foot tub... I also saw bubbles, and like a child, I giggled. Aubrey looked pleased. "Well, I'll be in the living room if you need me. I nodded still excited about the bath. When she left I barely moved. Her bathroom was so clean. Mermaid figurines were visible. And under the smell of lavender, I smelled the beach, sea salt, and sand.

Keeping to the tile I tiptoed around the bathroom admiring the mermaid figurines and the seashell containers. I found bath salt and swooshed it around in the tub. Disgusted when the water barely turned brown. I was filthy.

I sighed and stood up. It was if the pain of everything hit me. I pulled off my t-shirt caked with dried blood, mud, and bird poop.

My jeans also had dried blood on them. They were torn. My bra and underwear weren't as nasty.

I saw a mirror in front of the sink and instantly looked away from it. Not wanting to see how terrible I looked.

I was skinny. No fat on my bones anymore. Just pale dirty skin. My hair was long. It was sun bleached, but you could still identify my natural hair color. Misty Pecan. My mom called it. And it fit. I guess.

I missed my mom. She died when I was six. My dad supposedly "left us" after I turned two. When in reality, he was killed in a shoot and run. Rebeka, helped me figure that out. She had two miscarriages and decided to adopt me. I lived with her for a year. That was when I was eight. Old enough to understand bad things happen. But not old enough to understand why quite yet.

Then she moved to Switzerland without me. She said she wanted me to live a life in the US not in Europe. It made no sense to me.

I stopped messing with my hair and got in the bath. Sighing in relief. It felt amazing to just lie there. I wanted the water to swallow me up whole. So I held my breath and slipped under.

I felt something hit my stomach, looking down I saw a knife. I screamed in pain. Letting the wail overtake me. It burns! Make it stop! I pleaded as blood started to drip. But no one helped.

I shot up faster than you could say pain wiping the water from my eyes. Breathing heavily. I looked down and sure enough, there was a scar by my bellybutton. I pressed my knees to my chest. And tried to slow my breathing.

I was stabbed. Left to bleed. I don't know when, but it happened.

The water was disgusting. The bubbles were gone, the candles burned out.

"Eva? You ok? You've been in there for 45 minutes.

That can't be right... I thought to myself.

"Oh, it's right. Welcome to your new life." the snotty girl said.

"I...I'll be out in a second," I said to Aubrey. She moved away from the door.

I drained the tub and jumped in the shower. Washing my hair three times with apple-scented shampoo and conditioner. And washing my body three times with vanilla bean soap.

I got out and wrapped myself in a towel.

Aubrey was sitting on the couch. "Can I please borrow some clothes?" I asked her. "Course," she said not looking away from her phone. "My bedroom is right by the bathroom. It's the door to the left. I smiled. "Thanks."

"Course. What are friends for?"