Chapter 9

"Wow this place is incredible Dalt." I run my hands along the green walls of Dalton's recording studio. there's microphones, amps, recording devices I would never understand how to operate and countless guitars on the walls.

I turn to find Dalton tuning a guitar. "Are you gonna sing for me?" I question.

He hops down from the table he was perched on and pecks my cheek. "You know it." 

I sit down on the ground, pulling Dalton down with me. I look into his eyes "Serenade away." He chuckles and starts to play the opening chords to Angel With a Shotgun.

He starts playing, and I'm absolutely mesmerized by the way he moves his fingers perfectly to make such a beautiful sound, and how his voice rings out, clear and pure.

You can tell by the small smile on his face how much music means to him and how much he loves playing music. He has this presence that makes you feel comfortable, and you just can't look away. It's absolutely amazing. 

He finishes the song and smiles at me expectantly. I smile widely and hug his neck. "You're so good at what you do, I love it." I pull back and he sets down the guitar and pulls me into his lap.

"Hey thanks, but I like doing this better." Suddenly his lips are on mine and I can't help but to pull away and snort. 

"You are literally the smoothest dork I know."  I say and then I'm kissing him again. 

"I- really- like-kissing-you." I say between kisses. He just chuckles in response. And kisses me again.

"Dalton! Ashlee! I'm home!" His mother yells from downstairs. 

"whhhhy." Dalton whisper groans. "Well, hey," I stand up, and hold out my hand for him to join me "at least she gave us a warning." I smile as he looks at me, trying not to laugh. He takes my hand and leads me down the stairs.

"Hi Amanda!" I say hugging her when we get downstairs. "Hello darling! Would you like to stay for dinner? I really enjoyed having you here last week."

I smile as I remember Dalton bringing me home to meet his parents and brother. I was a nervous wreck, Aly had to push me out the door and lock it so I couldn't come back inside.

"Ah no, I'd love to, but I have to make sure Clayton hasn't completely destroyed my house yet, It needs to still be standing when my mom comes home tonight."

She smiles and nods knowingly, "See you soon, love." She waves as Dalton ushers me to my car. 

"See you later?" Dalton asks, even though he already knows the answer. "Duh, I had to be nervous about meeting your parents, you definitely have to meet my mom." He hugs me and kisses the tip of my nose. "Can't wait, all the ladies love me, your mom should be no exception to the Wixom charm."

"Oh I'm sure." I unlock my doors and start the car. "Bye darling." He waves. "See you tonight, don't be late!" I yell out my window as I back down his driveway.

** 

I walk inside the kitchen to see Aly and Clayton baking. 

"If Clayton isn't wearing an apron, I'm going to be extremely disappointed." I say with an amused smirk.

"I couldn't find one. Darn." Clayton says turning around.

I walk over to them. "What are you guys making and you better clean it up."

Aly gives me a side hug on her way to the fridge. "Cupcakes!" She grins excitedly. 

"And she's cleaning it up." Clayton adds. Aly and I share a look from across the kitchen, that's what he thinks. I laugh and join the baking. 

We're lying on the living room floor after baking and icing cupcakes, smearing more icing on each others faces than on the cupcakes, when I hear a car door slam.

Clayton perks up. "Momma's home." he says pulling us all up to run outside to greet her.

"Ashlee! Clayton, Oh and Aly I'm so glad you're finally here, Hi everyone!" She says through the group hug we're giving her. We break apart, "Clayton" I snap towards the backseat. "bags."  

Aly and I link arms with my mom and lead her to the front door. "We made you cupcakes." Aly smiles. "Kind of." I add. 

We spend the next few hours catching up about the past two weeks and all our adventures. 

"So, Aly tells me your boyfriend is coming by tonight." My mom bumps against my hip. "Of course she did." I laugh. "She's dating Clayton." I add. She looks over at them, arguing over what game to play.

"Lord help her." 

We both bust out laughing, and when we recover I say, "Yes, um, my boyfriend, Dalton, is coming by to meet you." She smiles, hugs me and whispers, "You're growing up so fast, I remember when you hit that kid Archie in the face because he gave you the smallest Ninja Turtle sticker."

"I hid the baby books, Mom." 

"I wasn't going to sh-" 

"Liar." I smile. She bumps me again and we head to the living room to join Aly and Clayton. 

We were in the midst of accusing Aly of cheating when the doorbell rings. 

"I got it." My mom offers when I start to get up. She disappears into the hallway,and returns moments later leading Dalton behind her with a very pleased look on her face. 

'He's hot.'' she mouths at me, and I stifle a laugh. I nod vigorously at her.

Dalton sits down beside me and kisses my cheek. 

"Brooooo." Clayton fist bumps him and deals him into the game of Uno. "Be prepared to be crushed." Aly adds. My mom leans towards Dalton, "Aly's cheating." She whispers loud enough for her to hear. 

"I AM NOT CHEATING."  

We continue the game for a while and I lean on Dalton's shoulder. "She seems to like you." I whisper. "She could have totally used that plus 4 on you, she's brutal, she usually shows no mercy." He just laughs and kisses my cheek and I see my mom smiling at us.

We end the night with my mom winning four games and Dalton one. We're gathered around the island in the kitchen, eating various snacks. Dalton bumped my hip. 

"Hm?" I mumbled. He grabbed my hand and leaned into my ear to whisper, "Do you wanna go outside and look at the stars?"  I immediately smiled and nodded my head.

We walked outside hand in hand, a blanket under my arm, and snacks, of course, in his. 

"Maybe we'll see a shooting star!" I laughed while laying down on the blanket.  "I'd wish for Chipotle." Dalton smiles. 

"You can't say your wish, it won't come true. Duh." Dalton shakes his head at me and pulls me closer to him. "Whatever, I can get Chipotle, whenever I want." 

"Unless it closes down, because you said your wish out loud."

"Shut up."

"You gotta learn the hard way Wixom." 

We stayed like that for hours, laying in each others arms, talking, arguing and sneaking kisses. And I thought to myself, that I was finally happy. I had everything I could ever want.