Worrying Matters

Nicole smiled as she walked into work, the last two weeks had been going well for her since Cristiano had come back into her life and after their kiss the week before; the footballer was doing everything in his power to show her that he still loved her. The brunette sighed as she headed for her office, she missed working at the library but she loved working at the art gallery; she was a consultant and spent her days either showing private investors round or selling them paintings. Nicole was dressed in a black maternity short sleeve bodycon pencil dress paired with black pointed high heels, she needed to dress the part if she wanted to keep her job especially while she was heavily pregnant. “Buenos días,” Nicole said as she greeted the receptionist before she headed for her office, she didn’t know what it was but she had a horrible feeling that she should have just stayed in her home for the day. The brunette yawned as she stepped into her dark office, she set down her grey and black mix large tote bag on her desk before she checked her mobile; she smiled at the sight of text message from Cristiano, she knew that he was trying and she was pleased that he didn’t expect her to jump straight back with him. Nicole nibbled on her lip as she considered calling him, she knew that he would be at training but since he had come back; her old feelings for him had woken up and were making her think about taking him back. The brunette sighed and shook her head as she put her mobile back into her bag, she knew that she could wait a little while before she called him; she was trying to prove that she could still maintain her independence from him. Nicole headed out on her office so that she could do some rounds to make sure that everything was in order before the first buyers arrived; she doubted her boss would be pleased if something was out of place.

***

“So how are things between you and Nicole?” Pepe asked as they warmed down from an intense training session, everyone was working their hardest right now and Cristiano was sure that Mourinho was trying to prove a point or something. The footballer smiled as he thought about the brunette, he was pleased with how things were going between them even if some people weren’t happy that Nicole was letting him near her; he wanted to prove that he could fix this. “Things are going well… she’s starting to warm to me again,” Cristiano said keeping his answer light, he didn’t want to tell anyone that he spent every lunch and dinner time with his ex-girlfriend in an attempt to win her back; he’d even taken her out several times so that he could show her that she still meant the world to him. Pepe smiled at his friend, he knew how much Cristiano loved Nicole and he had been concerned when the two had broken things off; he had always sort of thought that if they could make it then anyone could but to see them getting close again renewed his faith. “Don’t rush things, Nicki will come around in her own time,” Fabio said making Cristiano nod, he knew all too well that the brunette had every reason now not to trust him after how he had treated her but he was willing to wait. The forward slowed his jog as his mobile rang, he knew that he wasn’t meant to have it with him but he couldn’t resist in case Nicole needed him for anything. Ignoring the look that Mourinho sent him, Cristiano pulled his phone out of his pocket and looked at it confused when he didn’t recognise the number; he quickly answered wondering who could be calling him now.

“Hola?” the footballer said knowing that it was a Spanish number that had called him, he swallowed heavily as the voice of a police officer greeted him; he listened carefully before panic consumed him. Cristiano ignored Mourinho’s approaching knowing that this was more important than training, this was the last thing that he had wanted to hear when Nicole was thirty-five weeks pregnant with his child. Pepe and Fabio shared a concerned look before asking who was calling him, they could see that Mourinho wasn’t happy that their friend was taking a personal call right now; Cristiano looked at them knowing that they weren’t the only ones that were watching him. “Polícia,” the footballer murmured making everyone that had heard him look worried, they knew that the police would only call Cristiano if something was wrong; they could see that the forward was getting distressed. “Is she okay?” Cristiano asked as he ran a hand through his hair, he didn’t like that this had happened while she was at work; he felt his stomach lurched as he wondered what would happen now. The footballer ignored the questions that his team-mates had before he walked away, he needed to get to the art gallery and to make sure that Nicole was okay.

***

“Coli,” Cristiano said as he hurried into her office, the police officer smiled as he stepped away from the brunette and allowed the footballer to take her into his arms; Nicole was shaken from what had happened and quickly clung to him. The footballer sighed in relief that she was okay, he hadn’t known what to think during the call and now to have her with him; it made all of the difference. “Are you okay?” Cristiano asked as he pulled back slightly, he brushed some of her hair away from her face as he looked at her concerned; she had been attacked by someone, who had broken in when she had been checking over the gallery. Nicole nodded her head, she had already been checked over by a medic and they were insisting that she went home to rest after the nasty shock that she had received; she was suddenly grateful that security had arrived when they had. “I’m going to take you home,” Cristiano said as he looked at the officer, he was glad that they had caught the person who had done this and he wanted to make sure that Nicole was safe before he did anything else. The officer nodded his head telling the footballer that he could take the brunette home, she had answered all of their questions and they had deemed it okay for her to leave.

“Gracias,” Nicole said as she tried to get her thoughts straight, she carefully got to her feet as Cristiano collected her bag and wrapped his arms around her; she had asked for him when the officer had asked who she wanted to come and get her. Cristiano nodded his head, he could see that she was shaken and he didn’t blame her, he just wanted to get her home and comfortable; then he would deal with what had happened at her work. He couldn’t believe that this had happened to her while she had been at work, she was heavily pregnant and someone else should have done that part of her job for her; he glanced at the woman still speaking to police knowing that he would be having a serious talk with her later about what had happened. Cristiano didn’t care if he upset Nicole’s boss, his main concern was her and their unborn baby.