Off: Chapter 3

The next day after the doctor incident, Brendan had stopped exploring the house he had found. He told himself he was never going to explore anything every again. But that wasn't true. He wanted to explore it, he was just scared that the man was going to push him down the stairs again. It was almost noon and Brendan couldn't ignore the urge to explore the house. He went down the stairs of the orphanage, spotting Brody coming up. He gave his brother a smile. Brody gave a half smile. Something was wrong with him. He didn't usually act this way. He set off towards the house he was so afraid of.

Brody, on the other hand, was becoming depressed. He wanted badly to find out who killed his parents, but he and Marty couldn't find anything useful. He got out a pen and paper and sat on his desk, pondering about what he should write down. He wanted to tell Brendan that he couldn't just do nothing, and sit here like everything was normal. He took a deep breath and started writing, and placed it on Brendan's desk. 

When Brendan came back, Brody was gone. He didn't worry because Brody had been gone lots of times. He was used to it by now. But in the corner of his eye, he saw something on his desk. He walked towards it. It was folded up and put into an envelope. It was titled, Brendan.  He sat down on the chair and opened the letter. Brody didn't do this. He just talked to people. This wasn't like him. 

He read the letter. It said, "Dear Brendan, I can't just sit around and do nothing about our parents' death. We have to solve it. The only thing I know is that Marty's parents died on the same day, same time, and in the exact same way, but I need to know more than that. I need to figure out who killed our parents. I didn't want you to come, but if you really need to, I'm at the bus stop where I usually was before our parents died. Love, Brody." 

Brendan was crushed. He didn't know his brother felt this way. He usually talked to him about this kind of thing. He wanted to find out who killed their parents as much as Brody did, but he didn't want to leave Marty behind. A few tears streaked down his face. "Marty!" Brendan yelled. Brendan looked down at the note. "P.S. I've got Marty." He still didn't know what to think.

He didn't know if he wanted to go but at the same time, he couldn't stop himself.

He ran towards the bus stop that he and his brother knew so well. He saw Brody on a bench, with Marty, reading a newspaper. Brendan snatched the newspaper out of his hands. "What's so interesting that you neglected to ask me to come with you?!" Brendan's mood suddenly changed as soon as he read the article that his brother was reading. 

It said, "Police have been investigated the matter of Hannah and Brett Holster, but haven't found anything. The only connection they have is that Scott and Melanie Parker (that was Marty's parents) and Justin and Mary Yonavin were killed on the same day, same time and in the exact same way, but police have stopped searching for answers. "

The article said that Justin and Mary Yonavin's kids now live in Washington D.C. 

"Where did you find this?" Brendan asked, choking back tears. "Oh, I have a certain friend who is a journalist now." Brody said, pointing to Marty. Brendan looked at her. "You're a journalist?" Brendan said, surprised. Marty nodded. "I have been for a while. But anyways, this is my newspaper. Well, not mine technically." Marty said. 

Brody was so happy. They had finally found a connection. He didn't know the two other parents on the list, but he knew that the had to go to Washington and find them. He didn't know what they looked like now, and he didn't even know if they'd be willing to help them, but Brody had hope. He hugged his brother Brendan tightly. 

They would finally have some answers.