Washington: Chapter 4

Brody, Brendan, and Marty were at the airport the next day. They drove all the way out to the LAX, or Los Angeles International Airport. It said on the ticket that the plane would depart at 7:30, and it was 7:00 exactly. They didn't know what to do for the next 30 minutes, so they found someplace to eat at the airport. 

They munched on their food and went back where they were. The intercom came on and said that they were having some engine problems and had to delay the flight for a few minutes. There was a TV that they watched this program about food. The intercom came back on and told everyone it was time for the Washington D.C flight. That was them. 

They rolled their suitcases in the plane, put them in the overhead bin, and got in their chairs. The flight attendants told them to put on and fasten their seatbelts, then there was a safety video that they watched on their screens. 

On the plane ride, they all fell asleep. All of them were tired. And they slept the whole flight. They woke up right as they were about to descend. Brody stretched his arms and rubbed his eyes. Brendan just yawned. Marty was giggly and happy, like usual. The plane went down, and they landed at the airport. 

They were in a different state. Brody and Brendan never went on any family vacations, so they'd never been to anywhere other than California. They exited the plane after getting their suitcases, and luckily, they were in the front row on the plane. They went to their hotel and checked in. It was about 4.

Once they were all settled in, Marty got her laptop out and started researching about the whereabouts of Justin and Mary's kids, if they were still alive. And sure enough, Marty found them. They were in Seattle. 

A few hours later, they were there. It was an old, roughed down orphanage, just like the one at home. It was called Rusty Creek Orphanage. It was rusty all right. Brody knocked on the door. This was it. There were here, and as long as they were here, they had something interesting and exciting to do. A male adult answered the door. "Hello? Who are you?" The man said. He had a scruffy beard and looked somewhat like a janitor.

"We're looking for Ashton and Cole Yonavin. We're not reporters or anything. We just want to talk to them." Brody said. The man went back inside and closed the door. Two teenage males about the age of Brody and Brendan came outside. "Who are you? We don't know you. If you're reporters, I swear." The younger one said. "Calm down Ashton. I'm sure they just want to talk." The older one said. "Fine." Ashton mumbled. 

"So, have you seen the newspaper lately?" Brody said, handing them the newspaper that he got in California. The two brothers looked over it. "No, but it doesn't matter. We're done trying to solve this case. We don't know who killed our parents, and it's best if we just get over it." Ashton said. 

"Stop being so cocky Ashton." Cole looked up at them. "Of course we'll help. What do you need?" Cole said, giving a stern look at Ashton. 

"We need to go inside. I have a tie here, and we're going to need you to recall the events of that night. Just to see if there was anything that was the same, or anything different." Brody said. Cole sighed and nodded, opening the door. The orphanage looked even worse on the inside than it did on the outside, if that was even possible.

Brody ignored the fact that it smelled of stinky socks and moved on. He got Cole to sit down, and he put the tie on his eyes. "Now, what happened?" Brody asked. Cole took a long time to respond. "I-It was about 7:30 in the morning. My parents usually woke up at that time, so I wasn't that surprised when I heard them talking. But I heard a voice I didn't recognize. I started to understand them. They were pleading with the person to let them go. T-Then I heard a gunshot, and footsteps running. The door slams shut, and the person gets into their car, and drives away. I wake up, and go downstairs. It smells of blood and iron. I-I go downstairs, and there they are. Lying on the floor, in their own pools of blood. They were tied up with cable ties."

"Are you sure that's all that happened?" Brody asked. Cole nodded. "Can I take this stupid tie off now?" Cole said. Brody nodded. "Yeah." Brody got his notebook out and wrote down everything he could remember about what he said. 

"So, do you guys go to school, or are you homeschooled?" Brendan asked. This was the first time he'd talked. "Wow. Your brother sure is quiet." Ashton said sarcastically. Cole give him a mean look. "And what about you missy? You haven't said anything either." Ashton said, looking at Marty. 

"Oh me? I just came along for the ride. I'm Marty Parker. The same thing happened to me that happened to you guys. I'm here to solve the mystery of why our parents were targeted, and who killed them." She said.

"You a cop or something?" Ashton said. "No. I'm a journalist, but I promise I won't write anything about this. Yet." Marty said. Brendan looked annoyed. They hadn't answered his questions. "Are you going to answer my question or not? We came here all the way from California, if you don't mind." Ashton rolled his eyes. "What was the question again?" Brendan sighed. "Are you guys attending a school, or have you taught yourself how to read?" Brendan said.

"We are attending a school. It's called Liberty High. We can try and get you in if you want, so we spend more time together." Ashton said. He was going for the nicer route. He didn't want to offend them. He was just a sarcastic person. 

Marty was already on it. A few minutes later she got Brody and Brendan in, and all they needed to do was pick classes. Some classes they had with Cole and Ashton. Others they had to take by themselves. They had school when all the other kids in the orphanage were there, then they just self- taught whatever was left.

"It's 9:00. You guys better get to bed. Did you bring toothbrush and toothpaste?" Cole asked. Brendan, Brody, and Marty nodded. They went in the bathroom, one by one, and did what they needed to do. They got changed into their nightclothes, which for Brody and Brendan, was just pants. For Marty, She wore a onesie to bed. "What?" She said, when everyone stared at her. "It's comfortable." Everyone laughed. 

Brody knew that the first day of school after 5 years was going to be hard. Especially on Brendan.