Chapter 2 ~ Thoughts and Motives

"Yeah, that reminds me," said Edward, "could we stay here? I'm only asking you because you live pretty far from town."
"Sure. I'll show you to the guest room," you said, thankful for their help. "It's this way."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The guest room is right here," you said, gesturing to a room on your left.
"Thanks," Edward said.
"Well, see you in the morning (Y/n). Thanks again for letting us stay," Alphonse said gratefully. In a way, it almost looked as if he was smiling, even if you couldn't see through his helm.
"Of course. Goodnight," you said, and walked to your room.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Edward laid down on the bed. "What are we still doing here, Al?" he asked, not really expecting an answer.
"You, brother, are getting some rest; it's been a long day of traveling and sleep would be good for you,"responded Alphonse as he sat down against the wall.
Edward sighed and looked at his younger brother. "You know what I mean, Al. Why did you say that we would try to help? You know that we probably won't be able to do anything."
"Yeah, I know that what she is asking for is improbable, but I still want to try," Alphonse said as he leaned back against the wall. "I don't just want her to make the same mistake as we did."
"Human Transmutation. The taboo of alchemy," Edward muttered. "You're afraid that she'd try that if her sister died, aren't you?"
"Mmhmm," Alphonse said to confirm Edward's speculation. "Plus, imagine what the colonel would say if you were back the next day without doing anything," he said to his brother, who had an anime irk mark on his forehead at the mention of Mustang.
"I don't even want to think about that bastard!" Edward said furiously. "I mean, even though I'm still technically a kid doesn't mean I have to do his dumb errands!" Edward complained in an angry manner, making Alphonse laugh at his brother's attitude. "Shut up, Al!" Edward said trying to continue sounding angry, but broke into laughter with his brother.
"Hahaha~!"
"Goodnight, brother."
"Goodnight."
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Oh no," You muttered, cringing at the ear-splitting sound your violin made. "Please no." You woke up earlier than you would normally and couldn't fall back asleep, so you decided to do some maintenance on your violin.
That's when you heard your sister giggling, "Oh, who's up way too early," you said to yourself, sounding like you were talking to a toddler. You walked to your sister's bedroom stretching your stiff limbs, you had been sitting in the same position while working on your violin for too long. You reached your sister's room, turned on a light and walked in.
"Hey Sis, it way too early for you to be up. The sun won't even be up for a while," you said to your sister who smiled. "It's still time for sleeping, so do you want to roll this way-" you put out your left hand, "or this way?" you asked, putting out your right hand as the other option. Your sister reached out and chose your left hand.
"Okay. Here we go," you said as you assisted your sister in rolling her onto her side. "Is that better?" you asked her, and she smiled in response. "Alright, go back to sleep, sis," you told her as you tucked her in under the covers and closed the door to her room.
I hope her giggling didn't wake the brothers up. You thought. The brothers! You almost forgot they were at your house, then you remembered last night. That's right. They're here because I asked for help... from the military. It was at this moment that you realized how ironic it was for you to ask the military of all people to heal your sister's condition.
You chuckled at the thought. "Wow, I am "defiantly" the sharpest tack in the box," you muttered sarcastically under your breath while you walked back out to the front room to tune your violin.
After you worked with your violin for at least fifteen minutes you heard a voice from behind you say "Hey, (Y/n)."
Startled, you subconsciously said "What the-?!" as you whipped around to see Alphonse standing behind you. "Oh, it's just you. Hehe, I guess I didn't hear you come out," you laughed at your own obliviousness.
Alphonse laughed too. Again you noticed it almost looked like he was smiling even though you couldn't see through his armor. "I'm surprised you didn't hear me come out," he said.
"Yeah, me either," you replied. about a minute passed without either of you saying anything. "So-" you started, you'd never been the best at starting conversations, or small talk for that matter. "uh, did you and your brother sleep well?" you asked.
"Yeah, my brother is still asleep though, he doesn't like to wake up early," Alphonse said as he looked over his left shoulder. "You play the violin?" he asked looking back at you
"Yeah, I'm not the best at it though. My mom taught me how to play when I was younger. Plus, I think my sister enjoys it," you said fondly. "I find it relaxing myself," you said. "Do you play an instrument, Alphonse?" you curiously asked.
"Me?" Alphonse asked. "No. I don't play anything," he said. "But I do enjoy listening to music."
"I see," you said. "Your brother doesn't really seem like the type to make music," you said smiling at Edward's rambunctious attitude as you put away your violin. "He seems like a nice kid. Actually, how old are the two of you?" you asked. "You are both quite young to be in the military," you observed.
​"I'm twelve and my brother is thirteen, and Edward's the state alchemist, not me," Alphonse clarified.
"So, the rumors are true. That's still really impressive, state alchemist by thirteen," you said, almost bewildered. "So, I guess I'll have to ask him what the military is like," you mumbled to no one in particular.
"You want to join the military?" Alphonse asked, he seemed surprised.
"I don't know. I was interested in joining the military until I learned about the massacre that was the war of Ishval," You said. "Plus, I have to take care of my sister, it's not like she can take care of herself. Don't get me wrong, I love my sister with all of my heart, but sometimes I want to get out of this town and see the world. The military may not be the perfect way to achieve that, but it is a way, and if I did join, at least I could help reach a goal that was larger than myself," you said.
"I understand." Alphonse replied."Yeah, that reminds me," said Edward, "could we stay here? I'm only asking you because you live pretty far from town."