Chapter 12 ~ Face-to-Face

"Mmmm," half-awake you rolled over, pulling yourself into a warm blanket-burrito. You didn't feel like getting up, and you were just about to fall back asleep until memories from yesterday came flooding back. Yawning loudly, you freed your arms from the blankets and stretched your hands above your head, feeling a few satisfying "pops!" in between your shoulder blades and down your back. After a second yawn you sat up, still partially cocooned by the blankets, and opened your eyes to see sunlight shining into your hotel room reflecting off of the dust particles in the air.

Although you were immensely comfortable in bed, you felt the need to get up and to get ready for the day. As you did your morning routine, you hummed a song and imagined how you would play it on the violin. Once you were ready for the day, you checked the time and eventually decided to go over to Edward and Alphonse's room.

Knock knock.

There was no answer at first. You wondered if it was too early to visit. Just as you were about to turn around Alphonse opened the door and greeted you. "Oh, hey Al! Good morning! Sorry if it's too early. I just figured I could hang with you two, until I meet up with Roy Mustang."

"No worries, actually I think brother's on the phone with the Colonel right now," he said as he welcomed you in. Their room was identical to yours.

"Oh, he is?" You were a little surprised; you'd thought that the two of them didn't get along overly well. Then you saw Edward leaning against a counter holding the phone to his ear, currently looking away from you. His hair was down and full of knots from a night's sleep. You hadn't seen him with is hair down before, it was different.

"Yeah, yeah. When she wakes up, I'll call you, happy?" Edward turned and saw you in the doorway and his expression changed from boredom and annoyance to one of relief. "Wait, she just showed up. Do you still want to talk to her? Alright." He waved at you from the other side of the room to say both 'good morning' and 'come over here.' Upon reaching him, he handed you the phone.

"Morning Ed," You told him as took the phone. "Hello?" you asked holding the phone to your ear.

"Good morning." You heard Roy say, and you returned the greeting. "You are currently in Central City, right?"

"Yes, I am. It's an incredible place." You still were having a bit of trouble deciding on whether or not you should speak formally.

"Well, in that case: Welcome to Central, and now that you are on the phone, we can discuss the time we will meet up today," he said.

"Right. Well, I don't have to really be anywhere today, all things considered. So, what time would work for you . . ." In a way you felt as though you should have addressed him by his rank, but in the end you decided against it.

"I should be able to have some spare time for a few hours starting at eleven o'clock," he said this without pausing as though he had memorized his schedule; however, based on what the Elric brothers, specifically Edward, had said about Roy, you had your doubts. Speaking of Edward and Alphonse, the two of them were talking to each other, assumedly about what they were going to do today; occasionally they would throw a glance in your direction.

"Sure, eleven o'clock then. Oh, and where should I meet up with you? I don't really know my way around Central, so maybe somewhere obvious?" you suggested while combing your fingers through your hair.

"My office should do just fine."

"Your office? I guess I'll have Ed or Al take me then." At least you'll be able to see what Central Command is like on the way. "I guess I'll see you then?"