31 | pelican

LIZZY, Mateo, Paisley, Reece, and Teagan lounged in the limo, their stomachs full of pasta from the Italian restaurant they went to. Now they were headed to the dance, singing and laughing with one another to the pounding beat of some popular music. Neon lights frolicked across their skin—the orange, blue, yellow, pink, green hues pirouetted over their smiles and swaying bodies, elation diffusing through the limo like lava spreading over the ground.

           Lizzy laughed at Mateo who performed a hilarious dance move, her hands clapping to the beat of the music. She sang at the top of her lungs but the music was so loud that she couldn't hear a spec of it. Reece couldn't seem to take his eyes off Teagan whose eyes were fluttered shut in ecstasy with a grin thriving on her face.

           The limo slowed to a stop in front of their school, and the five teenagers climbed out of it, still crooning a top hit like a family of birds. A breath of fresh air brought by the gentle wind made Lizzy shiver as she walked to her school's front doors. Since she was separated from the limo's wild and loud atmosphere, the silence outside created an empty abyss in her heart that could only be healed by more music, more dancing, more fun. She quickly rushed the gym, which had been transformed into a splendid garden, flowers emerging from every corner.

           An eruption of floral arrangements hid the wooden gym floor and painted walls, the aroma drifting from them delightful to Lizzy's nose. The dim, flashing lights cast a pulsing and welcoming glow on the dancefloor, the DJ's table prepped in the background with music vibrating from his speakers. Circular and rectangular tables were situated on the other half of the gym, a unique, colorful flower arrangement sprouting from a vase on each one. A snack and dessert table overflowed with treats of all shapes and sizes—chocolate-covered strawberries, meat and cheese with crackers, among others. Lizzy adored the artistic floral mural that sheltered the bleachers, a rainbow waterfall cascading down the side of them in a spiral formation.

           "Lizzy, it's beautiful," Teagan commented in awe, her jaw dropped to the floor.

           Lizzy stood up straighter with pride. "Thank you. Naomi and I worked on it all day. Someone—" Her eyes flashed to Reece with a mixture of reprimand and playfulness. "—couldn't help us because he had 'family matters.'"

           Reece rolled his eyes but blushed nonetheless—Lizzy wasn't sure if she had ever seen Reece when he wasn't blushing. "I really did have family matters. My little brother and my mom were playing hide-and-seek and she couldn't find him anywhere. Apparently he ran all the way to the park—about a mile and a half away from our house. And he's only six." Reece shook his head, a picture of his toothless brother flickering through his head.

           "Logan did that once," Lizzy said with a laugh.

           "I remember that," Mateo piped up, his arm slung around Paisley's shoulder. Lizzy, Reece, and Teagan turned to face them simultaneously and Teagan's face grew solemn in attempt to mask the vexation she felt within. "You practically were screaming in the phone when you called me to help find him."

           Lizzy crossed her arms. "I had a valid reason to be freaking out. I lost my brother—who I was supposed to be babysitting by myself for the first time. You're lucky you've never had to go through that torture."

           "True—hey, Liz, nice job on the décor," Mateo commented as his gaze swept across the gymnasium, a low whistle vibrating from his chest. Paisley giggled and rested a dainty hand on his trembling chest. Lizzy heard Teagan gag beside her and she quickly changed the subject—as much for her own sanity as for her best friend's.