1: Hell Hole AKA School

“5 days,” I whisper to myself. I have five days until I turn 16, five days till I can get out of here and go to London. I look around the hall before shutting the door quietly and walking over to my closet, opening the sliding door and pulling out the large black duffle bag.

“Kathryn!” I hear my twin sister, Leah yells

“What?” I ask shoving the duffle back into the closet and walking over to my bed, grabbing my laptop and acting as if I wasn’t planning my escape. She opens the door and steps in. She’s wearing a pink skirt, white tights, black tank top and a white cardigan over it. I almost roll my eyes at what she’s wearing; she’s peppy, overly peppy. To the point I want to rip her head off at times.

“What do you want, Leah?” I ask scrolling through Twitter, nothing exciting going on. A few posts from my uncles, and a couple from Niall. Niall was in a band with four other boys, Louis, Liam, Harry and Zayn, who my dad and uncles toured with a million years ago or however long ago it was. I never listen to dad’s tour stories while Leah pays attention to every detail, even asked what color the carpet and tile was in the bus. Who cares? Not me obviously.

“I was just letting you know it was about time to leave,” she says smiling sweetly and tucking a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear.

“Thanks,” I mumble not meeting her eye contact that she might as well have been begging for.

“You’re welcome,” she replies standing there for a moment, before realizing I’ve silently dismissed her. After I hear her heels hitting the stairs I slide the laptop off my lap and next to me on my bed. I stand up, walking back to my closet and pulling out the duffle bag. I shove the little bit of money I’ve collected in the past week into the pencil type case I keep in there and look over everything else. It’s all I’m taking with me and it better be enough. Over the past 8 months of planning this, I’ve got a total of $1,500 which should be able to get me by until I can find a job. It should be able to pay for food for a little bit and maybe even an old house or hotel in the slum side of town.

“Kathryn! Let’s go!” I hear my dad yell from downstairs. I zip up the black bag and shove it back in the closet

“Coming!” I yell back and slip on my combat boots. I look myself in the mirror, not that I really care what I look like, just curious. Black ripped skinny jeans, leather jacket and combat boots. Pretty much my everyday attire, my mom once tried to get me into one of Leah’s dresses that was hell.

---

“Okay, you have that essay due Friday, which is in 5 days, don’t forget!” Mrs. Wilson reminds us as we exit the classroom.

“Ms. Hemmings, may I have a word?” Mrs. Wilson says stopping me from leaving my most dreaded class. I always hated math, I suck at it and it makes no sense of why I need to learn this shit. I won’t be using this in everyday life so there’s no point.

“What?” I ask rudely, sitting on one of the desks waiting for her to talk.

“Ms. Hemmings, your grades are slipping terribly. Being in Year 9, you shouldn’t be having this much trouble, all of this is just a review,” she sighs shaking her head, “If you don’t get your grades up, you will fail this class and have to retake it your Year 10,”

“Okay,” I shrug not really caring. I don’t care about my grades, why should I? Leah makes good enough grades for the both of us; I don’t need to be making top mark grades. Not like my parents would really care or pay attention if I were failing.

“Now, if you don’t mind, I have to get going,” I say grabbing my black bag off the floor and walking out of the door before she can stop me.

“God, Kathryn! Where were you?” My friend Destiny asks as I walk out of the Hell Hole AKA School.

“Mrs. Wilson wanted to talk to me,” I say shrugging her off. She nods, her black hair falling in front of her face slightly

“You still planning your runaway?” she says too loud for my liking. I shush her and send her a glare.

“Shut up,” I say. I want the least amount of people to know about this as possible, “but yes, I am. Friday,” I say and she nods

“Are you sure I can’t come with?” she asks and I nod

“You have nothing to run away from, though,” I shake my head. She really doesn’t, her parents love her, she isn’t the daughter of an ex band that apparently did really well in their time and she doesn’t have a sister that she gets compared to all the time. I, on the other hand, do I have it all the time. ‘you should be more like Leah, you should be prettier, you should lose some weight, you need to get better grades’ blah blab freaking blah

“True, you riding with Leah today or are we going to walk home?” she asks

“Leah has cheerleading, I don’t want to be around her anyway,” Leah joined cheerleading when she was younger. She was doing that while I was in my room trying to learn to play the guitar my uncle Niall gave me. He was always my favorite, even out of my dad’s band members, Calum, Ashton and Michael. Niall and I apparently always hung out when he came to visit or we went to visit them. I guess we’ve always clicked a bit. 4 years ago he helped me learn to play the guitar, and I guess I got pretty good. I haven’t touched it since the last time he was here though.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, ya?” Destiny asks as we reach my house. I nod and wave as she keeps walking across the street to her house. That’s how we originally became friends. Mom said I needed to meet new people, and my mom talked to Destiny’s mom and boom, we had a play date arranged. Destiny and I are so similar though. We’re both into black, and while she wears more hipster type stuff, I still steal her clothes a lot. I smile lightly at the memories of hanging out with her playing house and stuff. I walk up the stairs and open the door dropping my bag in the place I always do I look up seeing Mom and Dad sitting at the table with angry looks on their faces.

“What is this we hear about you failing all of your classes?”

(A/N)

Hey guys! So I hope you liked the VERY FIRST chapter of Runner! I really like this chapter and literally wrote it in about 45 minutes because I had such an inspiration so I hope this was good:) I don't have anything else to say, Kathryn and Leah are on the side:) they're the British twins from Zack and Cody if you didn't know:) but I thought they fit perfectly, so they're on the side and yeah...

I LOVE YOU GUYS!:) xx <3

xx _DatWriterChick xx