Capítulo 1

It was warm that morning. The bus had left me very close to my destination. If I were not going to have to climb that staircase, in that terrible heat, I would have arrived on time.

The neighborhood of Gloria in Rio de Janeiro was the chosen place for my cousin to live.  I approved. South Zone! The air here is cooler because of the proximity to the sea.

Okay, one more step and I can already take my long breath and sigh looking at that sweetness of home. Less than ten meters walking to the iron gates that faces the garden. Through the green grilles you can see a little of Stone House. The house was thus known by the neighborhood, since all around it there were stones apparent in its structure up to a meter from the ground. Then what was seen was the color ivory contrasting with the grená color of the windows, as well as the roof of the same color.

I knew perfectly how to open those gates without having to ring the bell. It was a small button hidden inside the gate. After walking for about three minutes we reached the main door. In those three minutes I thought about how Carminha's life had changed with that marriage. He remembered Carminha's mother saying, "Nothing like getting a rich husband."

Before reaching the main door I saw Sebastiana at the door waiting for me.

- Hi Mrs. Lara! Hurry up, go and talk to Dona Carmem. She looks worse this morning.

Sebastiana was a Bahian who had worked for Carminha since she was married.

-Good, Sebastiana Day! Is she still in the room?

- She's lying down. I feel sorry for her.

- You have to learn to deal with it.

- Ah ... Not that! You leave me with my chores in the kitchen and you take care of Mrs. Carmem.

Sebastiana burst out grumbling as I drove to my cousin's room. I could not walk very fast through those rugs even if I wanted to. There were so many walls ... 

The half-open door of the room made my entrance easy. The yellow-gold color of the walls behind the headboard of the bed today seemed to me more faded.

            Carminha leaned against the headboard of the bed and wore a white silk sweater and lace. From half a blanket to her legs, she remembered Marguerite, that is, the "Lady of the Camellias" by Alexandre Dumas.