Capítulo 2

-Why did you take so long? Can't you see I'm dying?

I gave my best smile as I calmed her and said,

- Good morning. Let's open the curtains to start.

I headed toward the windows. They were two that adorned that six-square-foot room.

Carminha insisted on getting my attention.

-You do not care the least for me. I can't stand this whole clarity!

-The sun is very wise.

I spoke as I stood at a distance. He liked to enjoy the scenes of Carminha from a distance.

-Lara, did you bring what I asked you to do?

She was already off with her feet. And I wondered this by tossing my hair to the right side. He spoke with his head, his whole body.

-No, you know I do not mess with it anymore.

-You got my marriage right, and you also warned me about this disease that haunts me. And now you say you do not want to give me the cards?

Carminha had already gotten up. As she closed her robe she hurried toward me. I was still near the window.

- I never knew how to read the letters right, I lied to you.

- Do not even play with it! You're afraid of what the cards are going to say this time. But I need to know.

At that moment she was already staring at me, with those big eyes, long black lashes in contrast to the white skin. Carminha was beautiful, but if it was not, I was sure she would find a way for everyone to think so. She was vain. She was a person determined to succeed. This was my cousin Carmen Lina Valdez.

- Since you got up. How about changing clothes and going to have some juice on the porch. The sun will do you good.

-Did you bring it or not?

She insisted, as I said, she was determined.

- I brought it. But I'm determined not to post today.

- I'll try hard. I'm going to change and do what you asked and you'll wait outside and think about what I'm asking you to do. It costs nothing. It's only this time.

-I'll ask Sebastiana passion fruit juice.

- I prefer orange, passion fruit is for you.

I left the room feeling defeated. Carminha had this gift. The last word is always in a conversation.