Capítulo 6

The clock in the room knocked on the twelve rings and the table was ready for lunch that Tuesday.

Sophia had invited a friend from school, me and Carminha, and there was one more place at the table. I did not have to ask who it was, because I'd just spotted Henry's car coming.

Instinctively I made my way to the pink room, which I used to occupy when I was in the house, because since I had arrived that morning, I had not had time for myself. She would take a quick shower and could put on the black and white polka dot dress. I liked my body. The ballet classes in childhood gave me size and waist. His hair was always caught in the heat. No jewelry, no makeup. I do not know how to highlight my beauty, if I have any?

I had already showered and began to hear an argument in one of the rooms. I could not hear exactly what the couple said about where I was, but Henry's voice was altered. What could have happened to him to quarrel with Carminha like that?

The door to my room opened and Sophia came in with a start.

-What's going on Sophia? Is your dad fighting with Carminha?

-From what I heard, he said she's wasting a lot of money. And he even canceled their joint account.

-But your father is rich. Carminha could not have spent that much money." Are you sure that's it?

- I do not quite know.

- I am going there.

-If I were you, I would not mind.

-But he's yelling at her, I need to know what's going on.

As I left my room, Henrique had already left the room and, as he passed me, he said:

- Lara, do me a favor. Take your cousin to spend a few days where she wants. But when I come back from São Paulo I do not want to find her here. I'll leave that money to you for the first expenses, but just bring it back when I tell you to.

What did he think I am? My cousin was not a commodity and I would not lend myself to it. I was going to say that in his face now. Carminha appeared in the corridor and in a choked voice said:

- Please, Lara. Henry's right. I wanna go. It will be good for our marriage. Then it's only a week, is not it good?

Carminha looked at her husband very tenderly and very fearfully too.

-And Sophia? She has class I asked.

- Sophia stays with Sebastiana and at the end of the week she will meet you if you want.

-Is not Dad going to have lunch with us? Sophia had a look of victory, she seemed to enjoy this humiliation that passed Carminha.

Henrique also did not like the comment at the wrong time.

-Of course not Sophia. Do not you realize you do not have the mood for it? When I get to Sao Paulo, I'll call you.

Henrique said goodbye and left hurrying.

- Well, I want to have lunch. - said Sophia.