Capítulo 3

When I left I almost ran into Sebastiana, who gave me the impression of listening to the conversation and went on to say:

-I came to see if you needed anything."

-Can you get some orange juice and sandwiches on the porch?" I asked Carminha to go there to get some sun. I think it will do her good.

- Of course I'll take Dona Lara. I'll arrange it. Are you sleeping here today?

- I think so. Henry traveled, did not he?

-He left very early, did not drink coffee.

- Yeah.

I tried to hurry up, heading for the porch. He liked Sebastiana, but he did not want to make that conversation about Henry. That bothered me.

- Auntie Lara ...

Sophia, Carminha's stepdaughter appeared in the bedroom door.

- Hi, I thought you were in high school.

-It's class advice today, so there's no class."

-Well, you can join us on the porch." Let's have some juice there.

-I do not think so." I'd rather stay in my room.

I decided to go into Sophia's room and close the door.

- Want to talk?

-You're so different from her. My father could have chosen you instead of this madwoman.

What did Carminha do to you? She may be a little egocentric, but she is not to mistreat anyone.

-I do not understand why you defend her so much?" She stole your boyfriend, makes you a maid, and you still like her?

I had to swallow and take a breath before responding to this young woman so discontented with her father's marriage.

-Let's go easy, young lady. I and your father never had anything serious. And when he met Carminha he was charmed by her like many before him. So I and Carminha were raised together, we're like sisters. She does not make me a maid either. You pay me very well and I need that money. What about you? What's your problem with her?

-I just wanted her to let go of my father." It was much more dignified.

-Why do not you think of yourself? Where is your flirting, Julius?

- He's gone. He studied six months in Canada.

- Really? Well, six months pass quickly.

Not for me. But I really wanted to ask you a favor.

- Say it.

-You could persuade your cousin to sell this house and give me my share." I want to live in an apartment of my own. Two months from now, I'm eighteen it's time to get out of here.

I had to laugh the way Sophia was talking. Too serious and at the same time, this seriousness was not of judgment but of the anger of the stepmother.

-You're dependent on everything. How could she survive on her own? And her father would not agree either. He loves you.

- I loved it. Before your cousin ...

-Are you talking about me?

Carminha was at that moment in the doorway and not very good-looking. I was quick to get her out.

-Well, let's take our juice and get a little sun." We'll meet you there, Sophia.

I left the room, almost pushing Carminha, as I heard the sound of the door slamming behind me.