The Interview

I wipe the cold sweat off my head, and get out of bed. I shower, then brush out my hair. Today I can get dressed in whatever I like, but then I have to go see my stylists. I have a ginormous serving of bacon and scrambled eggs laid out in front of me. I take my fork and eat half, then drink a small glass of orange juice. My appetite has grown smaller, seeing that it's my last day in the Capitol. I walk to the stylists room and see what they have for me. Then I see a beautiful dress. It's a knee length light blue dress, which has layers of ruffles going from my chest down to my knees. It's beautiful. Moss and Xavia come in. "You'll look gorgeous! It's not the kind of thing Cell would design, but he designed it. Let's work on your hair." They lay me down on the white bed. I see the picture of the design, colored in colored pencil, when I hold it up to the sunlight and see writing on the back.

Cell designed something terribly

awful for you, and I knew you

would absolutely hate wearing it.

So I threw it away and drew up

this one.

-Calista

I smile and wait until they're finished with my hair. I tuck the little design away. "Well, look!" Moss said as Xavia stood me up. I look in the mirror. I looked great. My usually wavy red hair is now curly, put up in a small bun. Some of my hair falls out of the bun in a curly waterfall. It looks lovely. "It looks wonderful." I whisper. "Thank you." I say. "Don't thank us, thank Cell!" Xavia says. "Sure," I smile, "thank Cell."

At eight o' clock I walk with the boy from my district, Galia, and Calista to the talk show. We arrive just as it starts. "Hello, Hello, Hello!" Caesar says. "Welcome! Are you excited?" He shouts to the crowd. They scream in response. Excited? For death? "Let's get started!" He says. The show starts. I count off the tributes as they walk onto stage. Glimmer walks on, waving to the crowd. Then Marvel. Then Clove. Then Cato. Just more people who'll eventually win or die trying. Finally it's my turn. "Hello! Who's this?" He asks. "Finch Lowings, it's a pleasure to be here!" I say. Sure is a pleasure to talk and answer questions to a guy rooting for my death. "Pleasure to have you! I love your dress!" He says to me.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, let's answer a few questions. We only have two minutes!"

"Of course."

"Now, Finch, who was your friend you volunteered for?"

"Maysilee Black."

"Very brave of you."

"Thanks."

"How old are you?"

"15."

"15! Now, something a little personal, if you don't mind."

"I don't mind." I lied. I do mind.

"What are your strengths?"

What? He wants me to answer something like that? People will outsmart me if I tell them! I decide to tell him only one.

"I'll tell you one."

"Go ahead."

"Identifying."

"Good, good!" The buzzer beeps and I stand.

"Thank you Finch." He says as the boy from my district steps on to stage. I'm so glad that's over.

Later that night I decide to write a letter to Maysilee. I find a few pieces of paper, but no pen or pencil. "Great." I mumble under my breath. I have to say goodbye. I decide to search around and I find a little computer that looks as if it's from before the Dark Days. I pick it up and press the power button, and it turns on. In the left corner, there's a picture of a battery. It has ten percent of battery left. I quickly find the word documents and figure out how to use it. I type out my letter.

Dear Maysilee,

I just wanted to tell you that I may not come out. I just want to say goodbye to the one who was there for me when I needed her. The one who I followed since I was five. The one who is my best friend. Goodbye, Maysilee. Just in case I don't come back.

-Finch

I quickly press print. It asks which printer you want to print it from. Most of them are disconnected, except one. It's in District 4's place. I have no idea why it's there, all I know is that I have to get there. I go to the glass elevator and press 4. I finished my supper early just so I could do this. They'll be eating. I am dropped off at a District 4's apartment. I look through a window to find they're almost finished eating in the other room, so I have to hurry. I jiggle the doorknob, only to find the door is locked. Now how am I supposed to get in? Then, I remember. I grab my red ponytail. Avox's hair are dyed red, if not already red. I could pretend to be an Avox.

I see an Avox coming right now. "Quick! Give me an Avox uniform!" I whisper. He nods and leads me to a supply closet. "Thank you." I say. I pick out the woman's Avox uniform and head to the bathroom to put it on. The Avox walks off to the glass elevator. I come out of the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. I look exactly like one. I walk to District 4's apartment and knock on the door. A Capitol woman with light blue hair and mint colored skin with flowers and vines tattooed on her arms come to the door. "Where were you? Come in here and get things cleaned up!" She yells. I nod, walking to the plates. While they aren't looking, I put the dishes in the sink and leave them. I walk to the room the printer is in and open the door. There's a beeping sound coming from it. I look at the dark green screen with the black lettering. The dusty black printer has the words, "PAPER WISHED TO BE PRINTED. CONTINUE?" I press continue. My letter prints out. I smile, but that quickly fades away. The machine is malfunctioning. It's shaking and papers are bursting out everywhere.

"No, no, no!" I mutter under my breath. I grip onto my letter, catching all the papers that fly out of the machine. I find the plug as a paper cuts my forehead and leg, and pull it tightly as I hear the machine power off. I breathe a sigh of relief. I gather the loose papers and stack them. I walk out of the room with my letter at hand. "What happened in there?" The Capitol woman asks angrily. "Nothing, ma'am." I say. Her eyes widen. "You're not an Avox." She whispers. "No, I-" I start to say. That's when I remember.

Avoxes can't talk.

I run out the door swiftly as she chases after me, clutching the letter. I step into the elevator and press the 5 button. It closes just before she gets in. I run inside my apartment, and give the letter to Calista. "Deliver this to Maysilee." I'm say, running to the bathroom to change into better clothes before she finds me.

It's 2:00 AM and I still can't sleep. I keep thinking of May crying when she sees my death on the gigantic screen in the square. "Go to sleep, Finch." I tell myself. I keep thinking of her sobbing, "Foxface! Foxface!" I don't even mind that she calls me that. It describes who I am- a sly, clever girl. I didn't like it at first, but I got used to it.

I slowly drift off to sleep. My dream is about May reading my letter. A tear falls from her face. A few days later, she watches my death on the large screen. "Goodbye, Foxface." Her words are slurred. I'm a ghost now, hovering over her. "Goodbye, May." I whisper.