The Boy with the Spear and The Girl who Derserves to Win

I wake up to purplish-blue fingers. I need to find warmth quick, or I will die. I stretch to find my arm is turning a purplish color, too. I need warmth now. I need it quick. I leave my stuff there, and head out to find a blanket. Maybe, just maybe, there's something in the cornucopia. I creep towards the edge of the forest. The cornucopia is there, and so is a mountain of goods. I smile. There has to be a blanket somewhere in there. There's smoke in the distance. Why would someone make a fire near the cornucopia? Well, not my problem. I'm about to run when I spot land mines around it. I need to watch out for it. I run toward the mountain of food and hop over the land mines. I grab a blanket and run. I catch a glimpse of Katniss. Maybe I should team up with her. No- that would probably end up with an arrow in my back. Marvel looks around. I peer at him through the trees when I see a second fire go up. Oh. I see what they're doing. They're getting the careers to come to them. Why? Marvel decides to go toward my way, and I climb up a tree. "Marvel." I say, so he doesn't throw the spear at the sight of me. He looks up, startled. "Finch?" He asks. "Yup. Don't tell anyone, okay?" He nods. "I'm going to go find whoever's making the fire." He says. "Okay. Be careful." I say. He walks off into the distance, spear at hand. Then, there's a large boom and I fly out of the tree.

There's ringing in my ears. I stand up, fall, then get up again. I'm weak. But I walk to the site of the explosion anyway. Katniss triggered an explosion. Who else could have? I know she didn't walk into the land mines. I catch a glimpse of her braid. She's smiling. She knows what she did. I stand in the middle of the ash. Their food is blown up. Gone. They have less of a chance of causing painful deaths without mercy. I laugh. Yes! Yes! Then I think about Marvel. What about him? He's a career. Hmm... Oh yeah. Our alliance. If he outlives a lot of other careers. I laugh more. This is great! I hear Katniss whistle. The mockingjays repeat. "Katniss! Katniss!" A voice comes from the depths of the forest. It sounds like a twelve year old girl. The girl I hardly knew. The girl who doesn't deserve to die.

Rue.

Katniss yells to Rue. "Rue! Rue, I'm coming!" I run to the trees, climbing along, trying to keep up. Rue's in a net. A spear in her stomach. Katniss is sobbing. Across from that, there's a boy with ashen hair and an arrow in his stomach.

Marvel.

Katniss sings to Rue as she dies.

"Under the willow

A bed of grass, a

Soft green pillow..."

She has a great voice... Rue closes her eyes. She finishes with the last line.

"Here your dreams are sweet

And tomorrow brings

Them true

Here is the place

Where I love you."

She picks some violet and yellow flowers and places them in her hair and around her body. She looks beautiful. Once she leaves, I drop down to the ground. I hug Rue. Her jacket is zipped to cover her wound. "Rue... You deserve to win. I'm so sorry, Rue..." I tell her. I look over to Marvel. He is the boy with the spear. Was the boy with the spear... I hug him and sob uncontrollably. Two cannons have already boomed. Yet I refuse to admit he's dead. He is dead. I can't deny that. He wasn't just a career. He wasn't just from District 1.

He was the boy with the spear.

And he was my friend.

Marvel is still my friend- dead or alive. He can't be dead. He is dead. He is my friend. He is my friend and he is dead. I shouldn't have made friends with him, or anyone. I'd just lose them sooner or later. But I did. Now he's gone. Completely, totally gone. I need to go. I don't want to leave him here. He's my friend, he deserves better. I look straight into a camera. "He deserved better. Yet you gave him this. He's not a play thing in your game. He's my friend." I say, tears rolling down my face. I take his corpse and cover up the wound. He's dead now, and though I wish he wasn't, there's nothing I can do about it.

I leave, trying to dry my tears. It's useless. They just keep coming, anyway. I finally drop to my knees and sob. A cold hand reaches out and touches my shoulder. "Well, well, well. What've we got here?"