The Training- Day Two

I get up again. I do my morning tasks again. But on my nightstand, I find a note.

Dear Foxface,

I don't know if this letter was sent to you, or if it even reached the Capitol. I just want you to know that I'm rooting for you everyday in District 5.

Your Best Friend,

Maysilee

Tears form in my eyes as I fold the note and place it in my pocket. I walk to the training room. Marvel is throwing spears. Glimmer is climbing walls. Cato is fighting dummies with his sword. Clove is throwing knives.

Clove and Cato are side by side. Glimmer scowls at them, still climbing. Marvel looks at me and then around the room. He continues throwing spears. I need a notebook to write these things down. I climb to the ceiling again. Rue climbs next to me and I didn't notice. "Hi." Rue says. I'm a little startled. I jerk my head to one side. "I see you've adapted the strategy of spying." I nod. "Great. You'll go far." She says. She climbs off, slipping through the net and dropping onto the ground. I mostly spy on the careers. Glimmer stares at Cato, Clove, Marvel and the rest. She looks up.

Great.

"Guys! Look what we have here!" She yells, motioning to the others. The careers come. "Oh, look! District 5!" Clove says in a taunting voice. "Go away, Clove." I say in a flat voice. "Why should I, 5?" She yells. "My name is Foxface!" I yell down to her. She has a perplexed look on her face. "Finch, I mean. My name is Finch." I say a little quieter. She smiles. "Like the bird I kill all the time." She laughs. "Oh, what's your name? Clove? Like ground clove? Ground clove... Hmm. Like how you'll be lying on the ground when I kill you." I yell, irritated.

Finch.

You shouldn't have said that.

Clove has an angry look on her face. "Cato, let's go." She says. Cato and the rest leave. Marvel just stands there. "Thanks again, Finch." He whispers. "No problem." I whisper back. Marvel climbs the wall and stops when he gets to me. "You know, Finch, you'll make it pretty far. I don't think they'll let you in the Careers now, but maybe we could start an alliance?" He asks. "I'm sorry, Marvel. But... I have my plan figured out now." I say. A hint of pain strikes his eyes. "Well, thanks anyway, Finch." He says, and climbs down. Finch, why did you do that? I just let the only sweet person in District 1 down. I'm so selfish.

"Marvel, wait."

He looks back up to me. "Maybe if you outlast some other careers." I tell him. Why did I do that? Allies are for fools. "Alright. Thanks." He says, smiling. He could be a nice friend. If only we could be friends. But, sadly, one of us is going to die. Or both of us.

He stops. "How did you know Clove's name?" He asks. "I'm a stalker, Marvel. I know that you call your parents and cry. I know that Clove and Cato like to talk about how to kill people. Oh- and stay away from Glimmer. She plans to kill all of you." I say. He actually doesn't look creeped out. "Thanks, Finch." That's the only time I haven't seen someone creeped out by me being a stalker. I'm usually just like, "Hi, I'm a stalker." Then they run. I like doing that. Maybe he was just grateful that I gave him advice. I continue to spy on people. Katniss smiles as Rue climbs, never touching the ground. Rue will get a ten if she keeps doing that.

Peeta Mellark has just finished painting himself. Right now he's throwing failing at throwing knives. I feel like teaching him, but then he'll know I've been watching him. After a while he quits and goes to do other things. Katniss was practicing her bow and arrow, but now she's watching Rue swing all over the place. Rue probably reminds her of her sister. I learned Katniss's sister is named Primrose, whom she calls Prim. Glimmer is at the identifying machine. Cato has dropped his sword for a break. Clove is now talking with Cato again about how they're going to kill everybody. Marvel is just looking around. Throwing spears. People these days are so boring!

I decide to drop down for a little while. I got a drink of water from the water fountain outside. I go back but see that the climbing wall that I use to get up to the ceiling is already taken. The identifying machine is taken by Glimmer. She's getting everything wrong. I just go ahead and practice making a fire. It takes me a long time, but I finally get a spark, then a flame, then a fire. Glimmer is still at the identifying machine (from the looks of it she wants to break it) and I don't feel like climbing. So I just watch the others from a dark corner. After training is done, I'm kind of happy.

Then I realize I shouldn't be happy.

I mean... Look at me.

I'm here.