Part 17: To Feel Him

AMBER POV

I went to the kitchen. "Hannah, have you taken Zuri's food to her yet?"

"I was about to--" She turned to me with a bowl of soup. "Alphina? Alphina, what's wrong?" She set the bowl down, and moved around the island to take my hands, looking at me pleadingly. "Alphina, talk to me. You know you can talk to your Hannah."

"I'm fine, I just want to take the soup up to Zuri."

"I haven't seen you look this sad since..." She let her voice trail off. "Talk to me."

I didn't want to talk. "After I look after Zuri, maybe?" I managed a small smile. "Let me get things straight in my head, alright?" She silently turned and put the bowl on a plate along with freshly baked bread and butter on a tray. She handed it to me. "Thank you."

"She has water and juice next to her bed."

"Thanks

"Thanks." I went up the steps to her room. When I stepped inside she lay there in a daze. She looked like she'd been crying again. "Zuri?"

Zuri turned her head slowly, her eyes haunted.

"Zuri, I brought you something to eat." I watched her sigh. "You need to keep your strength up."

"For what?" she whispered. "He has my scent. I can feel him. He will come. The full moon is coming--"

I rushed to her side, and set the tray on the bed table. "It's going to be okay."

"You believe that don't you?" Her head tilted to the side, looking at me. "It won't be," she shook her head, tears coming to her eyes. "It won't be." Her eyes lowered. "I'll run before I go back to him."

"Did he mark you against your will?"

Her head snapped up. She was talking to herself. She hesitated before she spoke, looking at me, but then exhaled heavily. "No."

I paused, searching for the right words. "You said yes...in the moment?"

Her eyes met mine, and she swallowed hard. "Yes."

I gave her a tissue as the tears began to stream down her face. "I'm sorry."

"I don't know if I'm sorry or not!" she wailed softly. "He's...everything, but I am nothing to him, just someone the Goddess picked. Look at me!"

I looked at her. Her body was frail at best. She looked thin and sick, and had scars all over her. Her eyes were bright with tears. "You need food and rest. You have beautiful dark eyes, a sweet voice and smile. Tell you what--we will go on walks, get you stronger, okay? You look sick because you are sick, but once you're healthy you'll look and feel better, I promise. Will you try, for me?"

Zuri gave a small smile and nodded, so I started feeding her. "You're so lucky to have Ian."

I smiled at that. "Am I?" I offered her the buttered bread.