two ▷ run the ropes

"So I think that running the ropes is a good place to start."

Akane nodded as she tied her hair back into a pony tail, leaving her bangs down since she didn't bring bobby pins with her (she knew that she had forgotten something). "Alright." Her hair wouldn't have been really in her way, considering it was just past shoulder length, but she felt as if she had to do it. Wasn't that what the girls did, pull their hair back? Akane wouldn't really know.

"Okay so to run the ropes you literally just run the ropes. But when you hit it, you wrap your arm around it like so," Kenny demonstrated as he circled his arm around the top rope.  "From the middle, it's basically two to three steps, pivot, hit, and then run to the next ropes in that continuous sequence."

She nodded along as she carefully watched his stance. She would have to do three steps, her legs were not long at all. After he demonstrated, everyone backed up again, clearing the way for her to run the ropes. Yujiro dropped down onto the ground, Adam plopped to the mat to sit, and Matt and Nick both jumped the ropes to the apron. Apparently they had put Kenny in charge of actually doing the teaching.

Akane shrugged her shoulders, it couldn't be that bad, so it didn't worry her too much, before running off to hit the ropes for the first time.

The second she hit the first time though, she didn't continue the sequence like she was suppose to. No, in fact, she stopped dead in her tracks. It hurt. It hurt bad. She had thought it would be easy, the ropes seemed bouncy.

It was like nothing she had ever felt before. The most physical injury she had ever received was falling onto the ground in gym class once, and the worse injury she got out of that was a scrap on her elbow.

This was a whole new level of pain.

It was as if she was getting hit in the back, by a whip or something. A whip was the only thing that she could compare it to. It struck down hard, and knocked the wind out of her. This was the first thing they were teaching her?

"You okay?" Kenny questioned while looking at her. The girl looked like a deer caught in headlights, it was actually kind of funny. But he didn't laugh, unlike the two chuckling brothers just a few feet away from him.

Akane whined, "It hurts." Her first response was to bring her hand up to the middle of her back where it hurt from the harsh hit of the ropes.

Adam glanced at her, a big smile on his face, his eyes crinkling, as he said, "Suck it up buttercup."

She narrowed her eyes as she looked at him. But nonetheless she groaned and kept going. Every time she hit the ropes she winced and paused before kept going, as they encouragingly yelled at her to not pause and to just keep going. By nearly the 10th time she did it, she had to stop. Her back was on fire, her lungs were burning, she was beginning to sweat, and her legs began to cramp. She knew she wasn't the most fit person ever, but she didn't know it would be that bad. Running the ropes didn't seem that bad at all, yet here she was practically wanting to throw up because of it.

"When was the last time you did any sort of cardio?" Adam questioned as he watched at how out of breath the girl was.

Akane scratched the side of her head, as she leaned against the ropes breathing heavily. When was the last time she ran? Like seriously ran? "In November my best friend Mao's shop was out of custard so I had to run and get some from down the street." She wouldn't call that actually running, it was two shops over, but it still had to count for something she supposed.

Kenny sighed as he shook his head, it was as if every minute it kept getting a bit harder. "Run it again?" he was hopeful and didn't want to push his luck with the girl, he especially didn't want to overwork her. But running the ropes would get easier, and she needed to start developing cardio.