Chapter Twenty-Six

Cadence

Thirty minutes, that is all that asshole gave me to get ready, and we are now on the way to wherever it is we are going, and I'm trying to put the rest of my makeup on in the car, and every time he hits a bump, I smear it and get pissed.

I can feel his eyes on me every few minutes, but he never says a word as he drives. It doesn't take us long to pull into the driveway of a huge house, and all I can do is stare at it in awe.

The place is beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a house this big before. Mathias touches my arm gently, and I'm pulled out of my silent lingering thoughts about what I would do with a house that big. I know it's a pipe dream, but I don't care. It's magnificent.

"You done?" he asks.

My head snaps in his direction, and he motions to my makeup that is still in my hand. "Shit. No, one minute."

Grabbing my eyeliner, I line my eyes with the black charcoal before closing the pencil and shoving it back in my bag. I grab the makeup brush and finish my eyebrows before tossing everything else back in my bag and zipping it up.

"Who lives here?" I ask as I shove the bag on the floorboard of the car.

"My parents." His words are curt, and I'm not sure if it is because he doesn't like his parents, or because he doesn't want to be here with me.

"Why are we here?" I ask, testing his patience. He doesn't like when I question things, so I make it a habit of doing so.

"Dinner." His short answers make me uncomfortable, but I don't say anything else. Instead, I watch him get out of the car before walking over to my side and opening the door for me. I take his outreached hand and let him help me out of the car.

He pulls me into his body, and I can feel how tense he is. "Thank you for coming with me." His fingers run across my jaw before he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. I watch as his lips come closer and the moment our mouths touch, someone clears their throat behind me.

"Mathias, stop pawing your friend." Mathias doesn't release my face, and I'm stuck in this limbo sort of thing that I don't know how to navigate.

"Don't listen to a word she says. I love you." Hearing those words come from his mouth is like a beacon to cling on to. I won't let his mother come between us, no way. Not when I just got him.

"I love you too," I whisper back as I hear her huff out in frustration and call out his name again.

He releases me slightly, grabbing my hand and leading me over to where his mother and another woman are standing. This woman is more Mathias' age and extremely beautiful. Her blonde hair is curled in these amazing wave like things that flow down the middle of her back.

Even her dress is perfect, and I can't help but compare myself to this woman. I mean, she is supermodel beautiful and even thin as one. Me on the other hand, I am the complete opposite. I look plain next to her, and I know that Mathias could marry a woman like her if he chose to.

He squeezes my hand like he's trying to comfort me like he can read my mind right now and all the things that are running through it.

"Mother." He says coldly to his mother. She leans in and kisses him on both of his cheeks before she introduces the woman to Mathias, not even bothering to acknowledge me.

"My dear, this is Sofia. Sofia, this is my charming son, Mathias." He gives her a polite smile, and his mother gives him a dirty look like he is supposed to do more.

After a few seconds of awkwardness, he finally leans in and kisses her cheek. "Nice to meet you, Sofia; this is my girlfriend Cadence." He turns to his mother next, "You remember Cadence, right mother?"