23 - Kyla

Angel’s POV

I saw Shannaya running, and being chased by Calum on my way inside the venue. I couldn’t help but think of the events that were going to unfold, so I decided to tell Kisha what was in my head. “Kisha, have you heard what’s happened to Shannaya and Calum?”

“Ah, I just got to talk to her a while ago. She said that she was feeling down because she didn’t have a partner.” Kisha replied. I thanked her at once, and was about to go back to my seat when Kisha said something that sort of took me by surprise.

“Oh, and wait Angel. I have a feeling you’ll be extra happy tonight.”

Third Person POV

What Angel doesn’t know is that there’s a surprise waiting for her in the next few minutes. That…is coming soon.

Shannaya’s POV

I’m running further and further away from the venue of our prom, having no idea what I had done to get into this kind of situation. Sooner or later, the rain pours down on me, which hasn’t really helped me distinguished the raindrops from the tears on my face. Just when I decide to settle down and sit on this rock I find, I see Calum chasing me. Why the heck did he chase me, that foolish boy! 

“Shannaya.” I hear his clarion voice that made me fall in love with him, and suddenly my heart’s pace picks up speed. I hesitantly turn around and my eyes lay on him, as he pants from running after me. “Shannaya, I’m sorry I haven’t been noticing you.”

I avoid meeting his gaze, but I still reply. “That’s fine with me.”

He scratches his head, and tries to shout through the rain. “I have something to tell you, you know.” Him saying that alone makes me swallow the lump forming in my throat. “I like you. A lot.”

My feelings of anxiety and nervousness have been replaced with an indescribable surge of happiness, as I face him with a smile as wide as the Pacific Ocean. “I do too. I actually have for a really long time.”

He responded by wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into a hug. Afterwards, we decided to head on back inside, smiles never leaving our faces.

Angel’s POV

Though I look absolutely calm in my seat, eating slice after slice of this delicious mango pie, I’m actually pretty apprehensive inside. I couldn’t take my mind off what Kisha told me: how in the world was this going to be an extra special night? Yeah, I was going with Luke after he casually asked me outside the girls’ bathroom in the moviehouse after watching Despicable Me 2. What else was more special about that, right? So, I decided to face my inner fears and confront Kisha on what she was talking about. But before I could even stand up, the lights in the room go out and all I could hear are the collective gasps of the other people in the venue.

Being scared of the dark, I immediately shouted for a companion. “Uhm, Kisha? Jammy? Where are you guys?” It only took a few seconds before the lights flickered back on, and I found myself right in front of the stage...where Luke was conveniently standing in front of me, carrying a rose and his guitar. My cheeks were burning up all of a sudden, and there was no way I could control it.

“Hey,” he said casually, like he wasn’t onstage in the middle of about a hundred people.

“Uhm, hey?” I reply, scratching my head. “What are you doing there? Come down!”

“No, no, you don’t get it, do you?” Luke tells me with his charming smile. “I’m going to serenade you, so please keep quiet.”

And before I could protest, he was singing. I never knew he had such a beautiful voice, and that he was such an expert on guitar. His voice soothes my nerves, and makes me feel much more comfortable...and gives me a sense of security. Once the song was over, the whole crowd burst into claps and cheers, and most of them were looking at me, anticipating a serious answer.