Fourteen: Admitting It

Damon

I darted my gaze to Jessica as I internally fought to keep the chaotic storm of human emotions at bay. Though I knew my gaze was intense, Jessica met it. She seemed a bit uneasy but there was no ounce of fear in her. She watched me carefully with a troubled expression.

"It's no secret that I've had my suspicions that you were weakening against him but surely he was lying. You don't actually care for him, do you?"

"Damon..." She began but nothing more needed to be said for me to see the truth. From her soft tone of voice and her 'intent to pacify' stance, I already knew.

The storm of human emotions increased within, raging to get out. Hurt and anger were battling it out to be the ones at the forefront but I only allowed myself to express one of them.

"You care for the hybrid responsible for the majority of everyone's problems, including your own?" I shouted before lowering my voice dangerously. "Or did you forget that he is the one who caused you to lose your previous life?"

Abruptly there was a flash within her emerald green eyes and her stance went from trying to pacify to an offensive one. I'd never thought of Jessica as being intense but in this moment she suddenly was and it caused my anger to falter for a brief moment.

"Tread carefully Damon." Jessica spoke softly but her tone was full of ominousness.

Even Amelia, darted an anxious look at Jessica. Jessica apparently noticed for she slightly relaxed her stance and gave a sigh.

"Just listen for minute." She briefly paused before continuing on. "I've tried to deny it but can't any longer. I have begun to care for him and I'm not entirely sure why. At first I thought it was because of the bond but I'm not sure that is the reason anymore."

I hated to hear her voice the affirmation. The only thing that helped rein in my anger was her open admission that she didn't know the reason. Even though she didn't think it was because of the bond, her inability to say for certain I took as a good sign.

"It is because of the bond." I stated not wanting to accept any other possibility. "Not long after we had first met, even you yourself once said that you couldn't imagine anyone caring for the hybrid on their own volition."

"I remember." Jessica gave an acknowledging nod then gave a small shrug. "But I am the Chosen One for a reason. I was declared to be Klaus's best match, even Esther herself admitted that. So it goes without saying that I' m going to have a natural tendency to care for him."

Automatically I tensed, my hands balling into fists. Despite the logic of her words, I refused to acknowledge that fact. The thought of her falling for that hybrid of her own accord ate at me and made me see red.

"So you are allowing yourself to care for him?" I growled.

Jessica's stance tensed again and Amelia quietly glanced at the two of us apprehensively.

"I'm going to allow him a chance at gaining my affection, yes. Otherwise I will never know for sure if my feelings for him are real or not." Jessica answered, her tone firm and unwavering.

"The best way to find out is to break the bond. Not allow him to draw closer to you." An agonizing thought crossed my mind. "Unless that is where you want him to be."

"I honestly don't know." Jessica's expression softened as she looked at me. "But what I do know for certain is that my feelings for you haven't changed Damon."

She began to take slow steps over to me, my anger cooling under her affectionate gaze. "Regardless of what is or isn't going on between me and Klaus, I care for you."

Standing directly before me, she leaned in and gave me a soft kiss. When she began to pull away, I put both hands on her hips and pulled her closer to me. Her eyes filled with curiosity as she looked at me quizzically.

"If he's competing for your love, you know I'm not one to back down from a competition. And I'm sure as hell not going to let him win." I stated, my voice slightly husky.

A beautiful smile appeared on her face before I captured her lips with mine. I wasn't planning to stop kissing her anytime soon but after a brief moment, she gently pulled away.

"Amelia and I have a movie marathon night to get started."

I darted an annoyed glance Amelia's way before directing my attention back to Jessica.

"Has it come down to having to schedule time to be with you?" I scoffed.

Jessica flashed me a teasing grin. "Something like that."

She stepped away from me and together she and Amelia began heading for the stairs.

"You're not going to even ask if I want to join?" I questioned, partly teasing and partly serious.

She stopped on the second floor landing to look down at me and shake her head with a playful smile. "Nope, sorry. It's a girl's night."

"Then be sure to schedule in a night with just you and me." I told her with a grin.

Jessica's smile broadened and she gave a soft laugh. "Will do."

Having said that, I watched her and Amelia disappear on down the upstairs hall, with a small amused smile on my face.