Chapter 16

Fate- Chapter Sixteen: GRACE

I was really stupid actually. I was so, so, so, so, so very stupid. Ugh. I hated myself for the thought of it. That specific scene during last night replayed over and over in my head. It seemed literally stuck on replay. It was like reliving a bad dream over and over again.

Do you want to know what that scene was?

Calum nearly kissing me. And me stupidly walking away.

I was particularly angry at myself the next morning for that episode but also due to the fact that I stayed up late thinking about it so I was sleep deprived.

I mean, yesterday was one of the best days I had with him, cutting out the parts when he asked about my personal life like back home and all that. It was honestly great. Calum was a great guy and I liked spending time with him. Oh heck, I liked him. I liked Calum. And he probably liked me too if he wanted to kiss me. But, oh, good job, Grace. You walked away!

"You seem awfully angry today," my co-worker, Izzy remarked. She was about my age but extremely tall with light brown hair that she always wore in a braid.

I nodded stiffly. "Yeah, lack of sleep," I mumbled.

"Same here, I was up all last night working on a project for school." Izzy said, blending a drink together.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "But, it's summer?"

Izzy laughed. "Some extra credit stuff. I want to start getting ahead, ya know? It's gonna be my last year before university."

"Right," I said, nodding. It kind of made my feel left out when people talked about their future, especially about school. When I left home at sixteen, I obviously had to drop out of school. I worked until I had enough money to take off. Traveling from place to place, running away from those goons chasing me, I couldn't exactly go to school.

School was part of my childhood. It was something I wasn't going to get back. That is, if my life ever returned back to normal. I mean, what exactly was normal these days?

"I think I'm going to call it quits," I announced around seven o'clock that night.

Izzy was cleaning off the counters. "I can close the café. You go ahead and sleep." Izzy smiled.

I thanked her, gathering my stuff and heading out. I threw the hood of my jacket over my dark hair. My hand was clamped around my phone in case anything happened. The sun was almost hidden by the tall city buildings. I absolutely hated walking out at night. It always gave me an uneasy feeling, knowing that at any moment they could come for me.

I had been in London for almost three weeks now, nearing close to a month. I usually would stay at one place for a month and then leave. I couldn't stay at a place for too long or they'd find exactly where I was.

Sure, the goons had tracked me to this area. But they didn't find where I was staying. Or maybe they were waiting for the exact moment to get me? They weren't exactly the smartest, but they just followed whatever Tontino told them to do. And why Tontino told them to come get me? I wasn't completely sure. But I didn't want to stick around to find out.

When I reached Marina's apartment safely, I forgot how to breathe for a second.

"Uncle Victor?" I whispered.

He was sitting across from Marina in the kitchen table. He wore a gray cashmere sweater and khaki pants. His hair was completely shaven off, just like I remembered, and his light blue eyes gleamed with its usual wisdom. I hadn't seen or spoken to my uncle in years. The last time I remember seeing him was during Emma's funeral.