Homecoming

"Play for the name on the front and they'll remember the name on the back."

– Unknown

"You weren't born to 'fit in' you were born to be yourself." – Paris Hilton

"Homecoming is about more than just kings and queens." – Unknown

"Hey, did Richard say he was going to homecoming?" Mom asked while she pulled my hair up into a half pony tail and curled the frizzy pieces.

I played with the sea foam green fabric of my dress in thought, "He said he didn't want to go."

"Are we still meeting up with your friends?"

"Yes, ma'am, Chrystal wants everyone to meet at her house so we can all head over together," I told her as I swung my feet back and forth. I sat quietly on Mom's wooden laundry ben while she put little pearls in my hair.

"Now, what makeup do you want?" Mom asked with a smile.

Grabbing my phone off the counter, I pulled up a picture of a simple eye makeup style I wanted and mom got started. It's not like I did not know how to put on makeup, I just liked having Mom do it for formal occasions.

"Did you want Richard to go with you?" Mom asked out of the blue.

I thought for a moment, not quite sure how to answer, "I wanted him to go to homecoming so he could have fun, but I had no intention of asking him to go with me," I replied.

Mom just hummed in response. I knew if I opened my eyes she would have that 'you wanted him to ask you' kind of smile. So I kept my eyes shut and my back straight.

"I am done little lady, go get your shoes and suitcase and we will go."

I hugged mom before heading to my room and putting on a pair of silver high heels. I stood in front of my full length mirror and twirled around a bit, admiring my reflection; the way the dress hugged my curves then fluttered out to just above my knees. I enjoyed the big curls that framed my face mixed in with all my little ones. I felt like a princess. There were not enough events like these. Not enough excuses to dress up really nice and go out dancing.

I pulled on a light jacket and got my suitcase before heading downstairs. I placed the suitcase by the front door and walked to the kitchen to see if mom was ready to go.

A collective wow greeted me upon entering the kitchen.

"Mickey's pretty," Arthur exclaimed.

"She looks like a princess," Ashbury corrected.

The twins stuck thier tongues out at each other as I smiled. In reality, if it was not for the fact I wanted to have this sleepover with my friends I would not have gone to homecoming this year. What Alex said to me still hurt. I should not let it get to me, but it did.

I felt a hard whack on my head and turned to see who had hit me only to find my mother glaring at me with sharp green eyes, "Don't worry about him."

"Who?" I asked confused.

"You are a lovely young lady. If he cannot see that then he is not worth your time. The stupid boy does not even know what he is missing."

I smiled, realizing my mother was trying to make me feel better.

"You're right. I will go have fun and not worry about stupid boys."

"Good girl," Mom replied with a pat on my head. "Now let's go or we'll be late."

"Come on Munchkins!" I through over my shoulder as I followed mom to the door.

The twins raced outside and hopped in the back seat before mom and I got to the car. I put my suitcase in the trunk and hopped into the passenger seat our grey Volvo next to mom.