Passionate About Its Message

Hailee Steinfeld Addresses Whether or Not "Love Myself" Is About Masturbation

The multi-talented star dishes on lyrics like "I'm gonna touch the pain away."

Hailee Steinfeld dropped her infectious single "Love Myself" in August. It's about being empowered on your own and not needing help from anyone else to feel good, but is Hailee talking about feeling confident and powerful... or about something else?

She explained the real intent behind her lyrics to Noisey.

"Honestly, I think most songs are subject to the listeners' interpretation, and that's absolutely the case with this song," she said. "I think for me the song just has a really strong self-empowerment message, and whether you take that as something physical or not, it basically means the same thing. It's about being able to provide for yourself and knowing how much power there is in that."

Take a look at some of the lyrics below and see what you think:

When I get chills at night

I feel it deep inside

Without you, yeah

Know how to satisfy

Keeping that tempo right

Without you, yeah

Pictures in my mind on replay

I'm gonna touch the pain away

I know how to scream my own name

Scream my name

I love me

Gonna love myself, no, I don't need anybody else

Hey!

Gonna love myself, no, I don't need anybody else

I love me

Can't help myself, no, I don't need anybody else

Anytime, day or night

I love me

Check out the full lyrics here. It sounds like Hailee wanted the lyrics to be open-ended, so whatever they sound like to you, that's cool. Lyrics can have multiple meanings. And with a song this ridiculously catchy, who cares exactly what she's singing about?