On new arrivals

Before you skip over this author's note, let me point something out. The beginning of this story was written by a good friend of mine, until I took over :) After the first couple chapters, you'll notice a different writing style- and you may even pick out bits in the beginning as well. That would be my writing xD

Also, this is a Percy Jackson fanfiction, but it definitely does not follow the actual storyline. It uses facts and little bits of the series in general, but a different plot. 

I do not own the Percy Jackson characters or storyline. I do however, own my characters- Jordan, Callista, Spencer, Elliana, and Nathan. 

So overall, I really hope you enjoy this story :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jordan's POV

My family had had ENOUGH of their strange daughter.

That would be why I was standing in front of the Laurel Groves Mental Institution for Children and Teens (Ew. What a mouthful) with all my possessions, while the van that dropped me off drove away ten miles over the speed limit.

Nothing to do but go in.

The lady at the front desk greeted me, and introduced herself as Miss Artemis. She was a young woman with reddish-brown hair who seemed no older than I was. "I'm here to help you in any way I can. Ah, and here’s the manager of Laurel Groves, Mr. Zeus."

Mr. Zeus was a tall man with jet-black hair, electric blue eyes, and a tie with lightning bolts all over it. "Ah, you must be Jordan. We've been waiting for you." His voice was kind, but also somewhat irritated, as if the smile he wore on his face hid his real thoughts of me. This stupid teen is what I get? I hate my job!

"Miss Artemis," he said to the young woman standing in the doorway, "Would you show Jordan around? And while you're out, make sure she meets her den mother."

In response, I raised my eyebrows at Artemis, confused. "Den mother? What's that?" I wondered. Mr. Zeus ignored my question.

Miss Artemis led me through the halls. "We've got this place set up as a safe haven for strange children and teens, just like you. I see here you’re listed as…” She trailed off, scanning a clipboard that no doubt held a list of all my faults.

"Schizophrenic." I completed her sentence easily. A diagnosis I couldn’t escape.

A mental girl with frequent nightmares, delusions, and hallucinations. That's all I really was in anybody else's eyes. Miss Artemis nodded as if she heard it all the time. She led me around.

"We've got treatment for just about everything. Right now is free time before dinner, so everyone's doing what they choose to." She waved to a couple children as we passed.

We stopped by a girl shorter than me by a couple inches- which isn’t surprising, I’m very tall- and Artemis immediately started up conversation. I wanted to hide somewhere quieter. I didn’t know any of these people, and the noise was starting to grate on my nerves.

"Piper, this is Jordan. Jordan, meet Piper." Piper was an extremely thin girl with choppy, light brown hair braided in pigtails, tan skin (perhaps Native American or something), and mesmerizing kaleidoscope eyes. She had dark makeup and a few pieces of jewelry, but nothing too drastic.

"Hi," she greeted. I acknowledged her presence in return.

"You're new?” She queried. I nodded sullenly. “You should come sit with the rest of us at dinner. There's five others, besides me. Just ask around. Everyone'll point you to the outcasts’ table." Then she looked back to the mirror she held in her hand and began to apply some pale eyeliner as if she had never talked to me.