Part 4

Silence. That was what was currently being heard in the old truck the four of you were riding in. Well that and the grinding of gears that Daryl couldn't quite get the hang of when having to shift into gear. As if by some miracle, you gladly got sandwiched between Daryl and Denise in the truck. So, as he tried to shift, his arm would brush over your thigh occasionally. It sent chills down your spine and you squirmed in your seat a little. The only person who seemed to notice was Daryl, who didn't seem to make any effort to stop. He just sat there and smirked at you.

After driving for about fifteen minutes, Daryl stopped the truck and put it in park in front of a large tree that had fallen across the road. Daryl jumped out, then you slid out behind him. He shut the door for you and looked inside at the two women still in the truck. "Stay here. Me and (y/n) will check it out." Rosita nodded and kept her eyes peeled.

A walker that had been crushed under the tree had caught yours and Daryl's attention. "I got it." You said and then pulled out your knife in your thigh holster. You grabbed the snarling walker by the hair it had left and stuck the blade in its temple. You looked up to see Daryl had been watching you the whole time but quickly turned around when you caught him. This made you blush and a smile grew on your face. "This happened fast." You stated gesturing to the tree.

"Tree rotted out." Daryl pointed to the bottom of the tree that had softened over the years and lead to its inevitable demise. "This wasn't people."

"What people would've done this?" You asked. Since you were still new to the group, you didn't know how bad the saviors were and never thought they'd give the time or place to do this, but even you have been wrong before. Daryl just gave you a look that answered your question. You just nodded and then followed him back to the truck. He stopped by a bag that was on the ground and picked it up while looking through it. "What'd you find?"

"Bottles of booze." Daryl smirked at you then twisted open the cap of what looked to be whiskey. "Any takers?" He asked while taking a swig and walking closer to the truck for Denise and Rosita to hear.

"No, thanks." Rosita said. "For later?"

"I ain't bringing these back to the pantry." Daryl scowled while taking another drink from the bottle. You then snatched the bottle from Daryl after it barely left his lips and took a big gulp of the amber liquid.

"Not half bad." You commented while eyeing the bottle. You looked up to see Denise looking at you holding it, so you offered it to her.

"I'm good. They were kind of my parents' thing." She said while pushing her glasses back up the bridge of her nose.