Chapter Six

I saw as she practically collapsed into bed and fell asleep almost immediately. I smiled and pulled the blanket on top of her, making sure she was comfortable. I tried my hardest to not wake her, because she seemed to be exhausted.

I decided to go into the living room, not exactly tired. I grabbed my guitar case that was near the couch and took the acoustic out. I began playing with the chords, and before I knew it, it was two o'clock. I had been singing quietly, trying to figure out something for Anna. I didn't come up with lyrics good enough to write down, but it was enjoyable to just sing to myself. I hoped I wasn't disturbing Anna, and at once I swore I heard the bed creaking as if she was getting up, but I was sure it was only my imagination.

By three o'clock, I decided to call it a night and grabbed a blanket and pillow that were lounging on a chair. I got comfortable on the couch that was rather cheap, but doable considering the circumstances. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep.

The next morning, I woke up from the sound of Anna leaving the room and trying to be quiet. I sat up and yawned. "Good morning," I said. Anna was surprised to see me up, and made a gentle smile. She was already dressed and ready to go out, while I, clearly, was not.

"Hello," she said and sat down on a chair. "I, um, I heard you playing last night."

I nodded and lay back down. "Oh? I knew I heard something."

"What were you singing about?" she asked.

"You," I replied.

"Why?"

"I wanted to," I said, smiling at her.

"But why did you have to play at two o'clock in the damn morning?" she muttered.

I shrugged. "I don't sleep at night. It's better because nobody interrupts you. And things are more interesting when you're half asleep." I grinned and winked at her.

"Oh," was all she could say, which made me chuckle. I got up and stretched, looking at my watch. It was nine o'clock.

"Would you like some breakfast?" I raised a brow at her. We had nothing in the house, and I was more than glad to take her out to breakfast. I had money to spare, anyway. "We can go to Denny's, if you'd like."

Anna nodded. "Sure," she said, smiling.

"Let me change and I'll be right out." I went into the bedroom and changed into a simple blue button-up shirt and jeans, but decided to forgo my wool hat, which sat on the dresser. I slipped a few bobby pins into my pocket for later before entering the living room once again.

I pulled on my leather jacket and raised a brow at Anna. "You ready?"

Anna smiled and got up from her chair. "Yeah, except I don't have a jacket," she said sheepishly. I shrugged it off and gave her one of my bigger, fluffier coats that matched the dress she wore, the same one as yesterday.

She thanked me as she put it on and blushed. We walked out into the unusual chill of the morning, and began our walk.

It didn't take us long to get to closest Denny's in a comfortable silence. We didn't talk much, too busy engaged in our meals, and we were in and out of there in less than an hour.

"So, who's this fella you know that can pick the lock?" Anna asked when we were almost to her house.

I smirked. "Well, I think you'll know him. He's tall, dark, handsome, nice black hair, occasionally wears a wool hat..." I whistled and put my hands behind my back, gaze averted from her to the sky.

Anna gasped. "You- You're the lock-picker?" She asked. She was clearly flustered, but I laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, well... I wanted to spent a night with you. Like a sleepover," I explained. "Though it wasn't much of a sleepover... More like a 'strange-girl-sleeps-in-my-bed-and-I-get-to-sleep-on-the-couch-over.' But that was cool too."

Anna shoved her hands into her pockets, but she couldn't help but smile. "Oh, well... You should've just said so."

I shrugged. "Well, I was afraid if I told you last night, you wouldn't've spent the night, so I lied," I grinned.

We eventually made it to Anna's house, where I pulled out the bobby pins and kneeled down on the ground where I began picking at the lock. I was getting frustrated and impatient when it wasn't working, but after many more tries, the door unlocked. I opened the door, still kneeling. As the door opened, it revealed a man with his arms crossed and a scowl plastered on his face.

At first, I thought this was the wrong house, but when I looked up at Anna, she looked like she might cry. I heard her gasp when the door opened, but she stood there, frozen. It was clear she knew this man, and she almost looked afraid. She muttered a curse word, and I stood up, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jacket. Who was this man and what could he possibly be doing to Anna that made her have the frightened look in her eyes?