Chapter 18: Escape

The crazed mass of students sprinted and lept over one another. If one of them fell, the mob trampled over top of them without a second thought. They threw each other into lockers and onto the floor as they scrambled to reach us.

It was like watching a real-life horror story, a zombie apocalypse. The difference was that they didn't make a sound, which made it all the more terrifying. The only noise that I could hear was the thundering of their feet against the tile floor as they moved in closer.

Trenton, being able to see the future, was way ahead of both Kya and I. Apparently, Kya had trusted Trenton's words from the start. She jumped the gun right as the mob got moving. I wasn't as smart.

I looked back just in time to see a really fast student lunging for my leg. I shook him off with ease and kept moving forward, but he slowed me down enough for three more students to latch on.

They weren't trying to fight me, they were trying to detain me. That spiked my adrenaline even harder.

They wanted us alive.

I kicked the one student off me sending him flying into the crowd. He knocked a group of students over like bowling pins. Then I threw the other two students into a locker. The last one I hurled into the ceiling, all while continuing to follow behind the strange Asian and the girl who murdered my best friend.

I cursed to myself. Trenton was no idiot, if there wasn't a horde of crazed kids pursuing us, I would be spattering that girls brains all over the wall right now. The punching of my heart against my ribcage kept any angry thoughts of Kya at bay.

More students and teachers exited classrooms as we ran by, pouring out of doors like a swarm of ants.

Trenton eventually came to an impasse, stopping as he saw another set of thundering feet approaching.

"Oh good, right on time!" He yelled, at the new mob that was approaching from the front.

We were trapped.

I admittedly started to think dark things. What if I left them behind? I knew I could escape the madness here. All I had to do was plow through the mass of students like I did with Kya's ex, Jacob Michaels, and I'd be free. Sure, I'd feel bad about Trenton, but Kya would get what was coming to her at least. That was a worthwhile trade, besides, I barely knew the guy. He was nothing to me.

"Z, don't even bother playing lone wolf. Helena and her cronies will find you!" Trenton reminded me, reading my thoughts. Or maybe he saw me verbalize those exact words in my head to him in a future that had yet to happen.

"Kya. Wall." Trenton told Kya, pointing towards the mob now rushing towards us from the front.

It was like they were speaking telepathically to one another. Kya, knowing exactly what Trenton meant began to form a giant ice wall on the floor. The air became chilled. It was the kind of cold that could be felt, even by me.

I saw Trenton throwing up the hood of his jacket and zipping up the front of it. He even took out a pair of gloves and put them on. I suppose that was one of the perks of being able to see the future, you were always prepared.

The ice wall rose toward the ceiling. It also filled the space between the walls and the lockers as well.

The timing could not have been more perfect. I jumped upwards causing the floor beneath me to shatter from the force. I then made a superhuman dive over the ice wall right as it melded into the ceiling.

Since we were inside a hall, Kya only needed to create two walls to keep the mobs on both both sides back. The crystal glass wove it's way thick and heavy, creating an impenetrable space between us and everyone else.