FORTY TWO

The whole room is just filled with sounds of keyboard and mouse clicking, fiddling of papers, and the sound of a pen sliding smoothly on a piece of paper.

Luhan is a very busy man, he almost lived in his office. Well, he is living in the penthouse on the very top floor of the luxury apartments that they also own, which is just a few blocks away. The view is marvelous as he can see the busy streets and the giant buildings around Beijing. The intercom made a sound indicating that his executive assistant needs to say something.

"Sir, Mr. Zhang is here to see you." a voice of a lady was heard and Luhan looked at the intercom, "Let him in. Thank you, Fei." he replied.

The door opened and there is Yixing, wearing a casual suit and pants. He smiled at Luhan and the deer smiled back as Yixing approached his desk at the middle of the office.

"How are you, Han?" Yixing asked as Luhan stood up and went to him and gave him a hug. "I'm doing great. How about you, my cousin? How's Sehun?" Luhan asked as he gestured for them to sit on the other side of the office where there is a small table with two chairs facing each other.

"I'm doing good. Sehun and I just got back from our vacation." Yixing responded as they sat down. "How about you? how are you holding up?"

Luhan flashed a faint smile and sighed as he fix his coat and answered, "All is well, being the Chairman and CEO of Jianyu Industries is kinda hard to get used to," he slouched for a bit and crossed one of his legs over the other. "But I'm almost there. Now it's bearable and I'm not that pressured being in this position."

"That's great to hear. Well, it's been almost three years since Uncle handed the company over to you." Luhan just nodded and muttered a yeah.

Almost three years.

Almost three years since he became the face and the future of his dad's legacy.

But two years since his eyes laid to the place called Seoul, South Korea.

and to a man named Kim Jongin.

That fragment of reality hit Luhan.

[Hi, This is Lu Han. Sorry I am unable to answer your call at this time. You can leave a message and I'll return your call whenever I can.]
<*beep>
"Sorry, I- i know you're very busy and the.. the situation between us is really tough. Sorry if I keep bothering you. You-- you don't need to respond to these voice mails c-coz I know you got a lot of important things to do. I don't want to waste any more of your time.. so, Bye."

A white envelope with Luhan's name grazed his own eyes and he looked up to his cousin.

"Here is an invitation. For Minseok and Jongdae's engagement." Yixing plainly said. "You haven't been with us for a long time, Luhan. It wouldn't hurt if you stop by--"

"My position in this company demands more of me, Yixing. You know that." Luhan immediately responded.

"Loosen up, Luhan. Don't let work overtake your life. The deal with Japan is already done. For sure you have time to spare." Yixing is really trying to convince his cousin to meet with the rest of the guys. But he can see Luhan now to be very uptight and a man of few words and always straight to business when it comes to everything.

he is not the cheerful, funny and soft-spoken Luhan that everyone loved and they're friends with.

"I would love to spend time with you guys but--"

"Is it really the company that demands more of your undivided attention, or you're just afraid to have a close encounter with someone on that gathering? Are you just avoiding the chance that you might see Jongin there?"