Chapter Six

"Move it." I hesitated on my steps, but with Grant's hand pushing me from behind I had no choice. He held open the large glass doors and ushered me through a deserted lobby. Papers and grim scattered the once clean tile floors, even hints of other stains... Though I didn't have much time to see if they were actually blood stains or not.

   His aggressive nudges echoed my path up several sets of stairs and into a darkening corridor. Only one of the lights was shinning consistently, the others were either flicking or completely dark. I cautiously stepped onward, until he spoke.
   "Stop here." I stood in front of a metal door, coated in a pale white paint with the edges rusted over from corrosion. I glanced into his eyes to find a hint to what was possibly behind this door.

     And nothing could of prepared me for what I saw...

   Once that door opened with a loud creek that echoed through the empty building, I was greeted by gore and deviation. It was a bloody mess... Literally.
   Grant skipped into the room without a care and walked over to a glass containment device, and open the door widely. Inside was some sort of droid, like myself, only I believe he might be an older model. But who am I to say? I don't even know what I look like!

   Which is ironic... Knowing I was in front of a mirror in Ms. Jade's home. But I guess with the urgency, I didn't even bother to really look.

  After I tossed that random thought out of my memory, I looked more at my surroundings. It was a sort of lab, which seemed very focused on artificial life. It had engineering parts, and lots of computers built to create these personalities. All tools were put neatly on the hooks hanging on the wall, except for one which was swimming in a pool of crimson fluids on a work table. It was a sort of bone saw, which gave me a slight unsettling feeling.
   "Ah. Now let's see if you work..." I started to give my attention to the mumbling that Grant was saying to himself as he fiddled around with the metal man.
    "Hmmm... Turn on!" He smacked the side of it's head and got very frustrated by the fact it won't work.

    After several raging fits and yells, it finally powered up and glanced at it's own hands for a good minute. Turning them over and back, and flexing it's fingers it glanced up at Grant and eyed him with curious eyes.
   "What can I do for you?" I couldn't see Grant's face, but I knew he was happy.
   "Perfect! You can start by cleaning this fucking mess..." He waved his hand without a care and looked away from this master piece of a droid. He was tall and had beautiful silicone pads over his rough exoskeleton, and the most amazing eyes. Both an icy blue that gave a warm feeling to anyone who were to look into them.
    He stumbled around the room and went back to Grant, who was reading over a sort of journal, and tapped his shoulder.
   "What supplies can I use to clean this up with? I at least need bleach, a clean cloth, mop, and gloves for sanitation purposes." Grant squinted his eyes at him and scowled. He pointed to me and angrily shouted.
   "Go with him and find them then! For fucks sake! Don't ever bother me while I'm fucking working, you piece of God damn scrap metal." He walked to me and smiled softly before sticking a hand out to shake with mine.
   "Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you. Will you go and help me find cleaning supplies to serve my master?" I awkwardly shook his hand and spoke sarcastically.
   "No. I'd rather stay here and look at his sweaty back..."
   "Oh. Well I hope we can talk again!" He tried to walk past me when I stopped him and looked him dead in the eye.
   "I was joking... I guess you're not good with those. Whatever. Let's just go..." I opened the door and practically fell out of the room. It felt nice to be away from that creep, and with someone of my own kind... Even if he's a drag.

   I took a smooth pace down the hall and the other droid took his spot to my right with a matching speed. I glanced at him curiously and desired to learn more about him.
   "Soo... What's your name?" He didn't take his eyes off of the path ahead of him and spoke.
   "KR41-D. Built to service as a medical professional." I nodded approvingly, and glanced ahead.
   "Cool..."
   "If I may ask, what is your name?" I hesitated and gave him an answer.
   "... It's James." After I said, James, his head twitched and a few sparks sparkled. I instantly noticed a change in his over all behaviour, since his walk turned more natural and his next speech was fluent and unrehearsed.
   "It's a real pleasure to know you, James. Really. Us droid need to stick together out there..." I nodded slowly and he slowed his pace as he made it to the staircase.
   "You know what will be fun..?" -He positioned himself on the hand rail and looked at the long slope- "... If we just did this going down. It'd be more officiant, that's for sure!" I eyed him curiously and grinned in surprise.
   "Didn't know you were too cool for stairs."
   "And I guess you're too chicken to take the ride of your life." That burned. But if anyone is to back down, it'll be him.
  "Am I now?!" I pushed him down the rail and hopped on and rode after him. His first yell soon turned to a gleeful laugh that echoed loudly off the peeling walls. We slide with relative difficulty with our bodies, and how they were built but that just adds to the thrill. I called out and laughed louder and soon both of us were on the ground level's floor gigging loudly. I looked at him and smiled at him, but when he glanced at me I saw a blank expression. Like all that excitement disappeared and vanished into the dense air.
   "Hello. My name is KR41-D, and you are?" He stood rather quickly and stuck his hand out to shake. The problem is, he put it high as if someone was standing in front of him. When I'm the only one here, and on the ground... I believe this guy has a few circuits loose.