Chapter 15: A Restlessness in the Air

"How long must this go on?" Théodred asked, frustration and anger clearly in his tone. He paced up and down in the otherwise empty corridor, his hands clenched at his sides. "How long will my father continue to ignore the cries of his people?"

Éomer said nothing for awhile. "I don't think Uncle is well."

Théodred stopped. "Do you mean he's sick?"

"I think he's diseased with something or... Someone."

"Gríma?"

"Aye. It was only after Gríma became his counselor that he began to age quickly and things started changing."

"I have also thought that, but we can't do anything against Gríma. He has his spies everywhere." Théodred sighed. "I will go speak to him again. We cannot let the orcs destroy our lands and our people." He marched off down the corridor, heading for the Golden Hall.

Éomer heard a rustle and turned to see his sister standing there. "Is it true then?" she asked softly, coming towards her brother.

"What is true?"

"That Uncle is worsening."

"Aye. We shouldn't worry about it too much, just at the moment. Winter is coming on and we must be ready if... If anything should happen," he ended in a whisper should anyone else be listening to words not meant for their ears.

Éowyn nodded. "I must finish mending this before this evening," she said, walking away.

Déorhild looked up from squinting at the long length of cloth in her hand to see Éowyn close the door of the room behind her, a troubled look on her face

Déorhild looked up from squinting at the long length of cloth in her hand to see Éowyn close the door of the room behind her, a troubled look on her face. "What is it?" Déorhild asked in a quiet voice.

Éowyn sat down before answering. "Things, things that are going on right now."

"Such as your uncle?"

Éowyn glanced up, bewildered. "You know about that?"

"Aye, your brother mentioned it when we were returning back to Edoras. It's no secret to me."

"I see. Aye, you guess close. He's getting worse. Our people are being attacked by orcs from both the eastern and the western borders of our land and yet Théoden refuses to let his son and my brother lead men against them." She sighed.

"Do you..." Déorhild began after a pause. "Do you think, as your brother does, that Gríma is somehow behind all of this?"

Éowyn stabbed her mending with her needle viciously. "I don't know what to think anymore. I can't abide the sight of him and I don't trust him either, but I don't think he's the only one behind all this. There must be something else. There has to be something besides him." Déorhild did not respond. "You?"

The other lady looked up. "I don't know, Éowyn. I would like to think it is him, but surely he doesn't have that much power to cause all of this. I know that others at Edoras believe I'm behind it."

"Well I don't. And neither does Éomer. Or Théodred, for that matter. They don't trust you, that's all. You have nothing to worry about."

"I wish I could believe you, but something tells me that it's not alright. There's something going on, but I don't know what. I wish I knew, but I don't."

"None of us do. We can only wait in helpless agony till whatever's going on is revealed."

Déorhild looked down and nodded. She didn't answer.

A few days later, Éowyn strode quickly down the corridor

A few days later, Éowyn strode quickly down the corridor. She glanced over the side into the courtyard below and was startled to see horsemen assembled below, her brother and cousin among them. She hurried down the stairs and went to her brother. "Where are you going?"

Éomer looked up. "Théodred has received permission from our uncle to ride out. He's going to the Fords of Isen."

"And you are going with him?"

"No. I'm heading north and then east. I will be back in a week for a day before joining up with Théodred and his men."

Her eyes were wide with worry, but she said nothing. "Promise me you'll make it back safe."

"Aye, I will. The one you should be worrying about is Théodred. He's the one going into true danger. Say farewell to Déorhild for me," he said, kissing his sister's forehead before mounting.

Éowyn watched as the two companies rode out of the courtyard and down the path that ran through Edoras. She ran back up the stairs and from that vantage point was able to watch them ride out of the city and split up, one group going east, the other going north.

She watched as the groups shrank into the distance, soon disappearing altogether. Then she suddenly felt a chill creep up her spine and turned to see Gríma coming towards her. She swallowed hard and began to walk away.

"So I heard your brother and cousin have left," he said in the gross voice of his that closely resembled a snake.

Éowyn froze. "Aye," she said, not daring to turn around. "If you'll excuse me, I have work to do," she continued rather hastily and walked away, opening a door further along the hallway and closing it behind her.

Déorhild looked up to see her lean against the closed door, breathing heavily. "What is it?" she asked, puzzled at the strange behaviour that she hadn't noticed before from Éowyn.

She opened her eyes and sighed, lips pinched tightly together. "My brother and cousin left this morning to fight back against the orcs on the borders."

"I never heard anything about it," Déorhild interrupted, surprised.

"Aye, I was just told this morning before they left. But that's not what's bothering me," Éowyn sat down. "I cannot stand that... Gríma." She shuddered.

"I can't stand that slimy thing either. I get chills just looking at him." Éowyn looked up and for a brief instant, Déorhild glimpsed what she was thinking. "You can't be serious!" she exclaimed in horror.

"Aye. He follows me around wherever I go alone. Éomer knows he has affections for me, if that can even be believed of such a being. He's not fit to be called a man."

"I'm sorry. Just don't go anywhere without someone and therefore he won't speak to you."

Éowyn nodded. "Aye. I just have a feeling that a lot more is going on than we realize and now that my brother and Théodred is gone, I suddenly feel alone... And afraid."

"Don't be afraid. Don't let him  know. If this is alright with you, I can go with you when needed so that Gríma doesn't have the chance to speak with you."

"Thank you," she sighed. "I only wish I knew what was going on with Théoden."

Sorry for the short chapter and the long wait for an update, but I had writer's block with this part. Hopefully in about two chapters, things will start to pick up a lot more. ;-) Let me know if you enjoyed.