Chapter 12: Cold Welcome

Two days later, Éomer paused at the top of a tall hill, over looking the valley that lay beyond. Déorhild walked slowly up the hill, leading Inganiad, who was by this time, worn out and stubborn. When she reached the top, she too halted, gazing at the scene in front of her. The hill which they were standing on sloped downward at a sharp angle to a broad, flat valley, unbroken save for the great mound of land upon which Edoras stood.

The city gleamed in the early morning sun, and Déorhild was sure she could see people moving about in it

The city gleamed in the early morning sun, and Déorhild was sure she could see people moving about in it. She turned and looked at Éomer. A slight smile was on his face, and she heard him whisper, "Almost home." Déorhild gazed back at the city. Edoras might be home for him, but could never be home to her. The only home she had ever loved lay many miles away, destroyed and occupied by orcs.

"Come," Éomer said after a few moments. "We are almost there." Cautiously, they made their way down the steep hill till they were on the valley floor, and they continued on their way back to Edoras.

Several hours later, as the sun began to sink in the west and send scarlet rays across the land, Éomer and Déorhild entered the gates of Edoras and continued their ascent to the top of the hill where stood the palace

Several hours later, as the sun began to sink in the west and send scarlet rays across the land, Éomer and Déorhild entered the gates of Edoras and continued their ascent to the top of the hill where stood the palace. Déorhild tried to ignore the stares the people gave her. Strange, she thought. The first time she had come here, they had stared because of the hurry she was in and because of her bedraggled appearance, but it seemed now that there was something else. She had never really felt 'accepted' by the people who lived here, but there was something akin to hostility in their glances at her.

Finally, they reached the top and entered the courtyard. Théodred was standing nearby, talking to some men from the Rohirrim, but stopped as soon as they entered, walking quickly to Éomer and embracing him. "How was the journey? Did you find what you were looking for?"

Éomer shook his head. "Nay. They were all dead, slain by orcs. We were attacked, but managed to escape. The journey was hard for this time of year."

Théodred nodded. "Aye. I'm surprised my father didn't send you earlier."

"There are many things I'm surprised at that my uncle and your father does now," Éomer answered. They both were silent.