Two+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

 Song---}

+Two+

 “And…that’ll do it.” Dr. Twill says with a quirky little smile.

I try to smile back but it comes out as a grimace. My arm is burning from that damn needle he stuck in my arm over two hours ago and I’m in a deep need of a nap. I got about four hours of sleep before the odd looking Dr. Twill came in poking me with needles.

I’m not says ‘odd looking’ to be mean either. He really is an odd looking person in an interesting way. His teeth are crooked and his blue eyes are slightly bugged. His dark brown hair is parted to the side and a bit thin on top. Dr. Twill’s skin is only slightly more colored then my own pasty color but his face is just as gaunt. As I said, the man is an odd looking specimen.

“How are you feeling?” he asks while pulling the need out before putting a cotton ball over it to stop my new addition from escaping.

I shrug biting my lip. “Okay, I guess. I feel a little warm.”

He nods then puts a clammy hand to my forehead.

“You are a bit warm.” He concludes. “But I think that’s just from the new blood. You have the ability to blush now I suggest you use it.”

I give him a small smirk. Dirty little bugger he is.

“How long do you think it’ll last this time?” Mom asks from her place beside me on the bed. Her eyes are tired looking and her lip looks raw from nervous chewing.

Dr. Twill shrugs his bony shoulders. “I’d say a few days give or take before she starts getting dizzy again. Has she been taking her iron pills?”

“She is here.” I interrupt. “And yes, Ruby has been stellar at taking her pills. I should know we’re on a friendly basis.”

The doctor laughs. “Still see our sense of humor is still working.”

“Oh yes, Doctor, I’m never to exhausted to exercise that.”

“Good.” He smiles. “Now, take care of yourself dear and I’ll see you in two weeks, alright?”

I nod. “It’s a date.”

He chuckles again and leaves with mom out if my room. I settle back into my bed and stare out the window. It’s still about nine in the morning and I feel less useless after my infusion. I sit on the edge of my bed trying to think of something to do. It was fairly warm out and I hadn’t been to lake in awhile.

I stood up resolute in my choice and went to my closet to find my bathing suit. It was too small. It had been years since I’d been swimming so I could see how that could happen. I decided to just wear a light blue summer dress and when I got their swim in my underwear. It was the same thing really.

Deciding not to deal with my mom’s disapproval I crawled out my window and scaled the side fencing onto the ground. I felt so…alive. I always did after a transfusion though. It was like all the life had been pushed back into me. I could run and not faint. I could jump and not fall into a shaky breathing mess. It was nice to feel normal again, even for a few days in the month.

I walked through our massive garden and was minutely surprised to see people working in there. Two men. One was older and the younger around my age or maybe a bit older. The older man looked a lot the younger one and I figured it was his son. Both were curly headed blondes with large muscular bodies with sun-kissed skin from working outside. Compared to them I was sure I looked like a ghost.