Myths And Facts

Myth: Dyslexia is something children will out grow

Fact: Dyslexics continue to face challenges with reading as they grow

Myth: A person with dyslexia cannot be a good reader

Fact: Even though dyslexics will have difficulties with reading a person with dyslexia can become a great reader. this is especially true if the person is diagnosed early and gets systematic instructions.

Myth: People who preform well at school can't be dyslexic.

Fact: Some dyslexic students do very very well in school. they are highly motivated and very hard working. A lot of the time they have received necessary accommodations that have helped them showcase their knowledge. (Many dyslexics also feel they have a lot to prove).

Myth: Dyslexia affects mainly boys.

Fact: Boys with dyslexia are more frequently identified in schools. But dyslexia affects both genders in nearly equal numbers. Researchers found that girls tend to quietly muddle through challenges while boys become more rambunctious. Boys' behavioral difficulties draw the teacher's attention to them.

The most annoying, ignorant, stupid, just UGHHHHH!!!!!! thing people have ever even dared to think/say about dyslexics. (To give this point the justice it needs I copied and pasted the main information and I added a bit more).

Myth: Children with dyslexia are just lazy. They should try harder.

Fact: If there is ONE myth that we'd like to see disappear, it is this one. Lack of awareness about the disorder among educators and parents has often resulted in the child being branded as "lazy". What frequently happens is that these children learn that they are going to fail at tasks of reading, spelling, and writing; it becomes an attempt at self-preservation (i.e., rather than try and fail, it is safer to just not try or work laboriously to no avail). Research has shown, that those with dyslexia use a different part of their brain when reading and working with language. Dyslexic people show an abnormal pattern of brain function when reading: under-activity in some regions, over-activity in another which, according to research, accounts for the difficulty they have in extracting meaning from the printed word. The findings provide evidence that people with dyslexia are not lazy, or stupid, but have an inborn brain difference that has nothing to do with intelligence. If students with dyslexia do not receive the right type of classroom accommodations, they often struggle in school -- despite being bright, motivated, and spending hours on homework assignments. 

This shows that most Dyslexics do in fact often work as hard, if not harder then other students.