six

Songs that I listened to while writing this:

• Money On My Mind - Sam Smith

• The Next Right Thing - Seth Glier

• Do I Wanna Know? - Chrvches

• Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? - Arctic Monkeys

• Love Don't Die - The Fray

• Bravado - Lorde

Tell me if you like these songs, I would really like to connect with you all. Don't be ghosts, darlin'. ❤️

- jordan k.

When I awoke, Louis was gone and Ricky was still sound asleep. I slowly got up and stretched. Walking up the stairs my vision was still half asleep. When I came upon the basement door, I opened and saw no light in the house. It must still be dark outside. But if everyone was still asleep, where was Lou? I walk past the room by Josephine's and hear voices inside. I know this is bad, but I just can't help myself. I leaned my ear against the door to hear better. I can only faintly hear what they're saying.

"Don't tell Harry." The voice sounds like Avery's. Don't tell me what? If whoever else is in there with her, they better not be talking about Todd. Why the hell would she even keep that secret from me?

"I won't, I promise." That was definitely Louis' voice. He better tell me. I would expect him as one of my mates to do so.

"Oh god.. yes." Avery's voice moaned out.

What?

What the fuck were they doing in there? Avery is mine. Well, not fully mine, but I had eyes on her first. I can't believe they would do this to me. Who do they fucking think they are? I ran back down to the basement. I couldn't stand to be there. When I reached the bottom of the steps I paced back and forth. Ricky's little head popped up.

"Harry?" He squinted his eyes at me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Ricky. Go back to sleep." I sat down on my cot and put my head in my hands.

"Was it Avery?" He questioned me, sitting up.

I hesitated for a moment to answer him. "Ugh, yes." I admitted.

"She's pretty." I looked over at him.

"Yeah, she really is. And apparently Louis thinks so too."

"Louis talks about some girl in his sleep. He's a weirdo." Ricky giggles and his eyes soften. I wish I was a kid again. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this shit.

"Do you know who it is?"

"No, but he talks about how beautiful her hair is and her eyes.. And umm.. her.." He looks around as if making sure only I hear him. "Her boobies." He covers his mouth with giggles seeping through his fingers. Louis had some explaining to do. And so did Avery. Soon.

"Well, that could be anyone. Man, he would dream of shit like that."

"Shit? Shit shit shit. That's a funny word. What's it mean?"

"Hey, Ricky don't say that." I scold him. I can't keep a serious face though because of the laughs escaping my mouth.

"Okay fine." He stops and has a serious face. "Shit." His face lights up and he laughs with joy. I shake my head and laugh too. "You like her, I can tell."

"How would you know? You're just a kid."

"Because that's how my daddy looked at my mommy."

Wow. I won't be doing that anymore I guess thanks to Louis. "Yeah, well I don't think I'll have that same look for her as I did once."

"Oh, I know you think I don't know a lot, but you won't find that again. My mom always said everything happens for a reason. I haven't figured out what she means, but I hope to one day." If I wouldn't have had that dream, I would've never connected with Avery. If I wouldn't have seen that backpack, I would've never met Avery. Or even gotten a real meal. Or a good nights sleep. Or feel this way. I guess this I like a ying yang symbol. There is the good in bad, and the bad in good.

"... You should go back to sleep. You look tired."

"No, I wanna stay up with you." Ricky whines. I give in and let him stay awake. Me and Ricky start asking each other about our lives and reminisce on the days that are forever gone.

"My mom had blonde hair and blue eyes. Then my dad had black hair and green eyes. I look nothing like my dad. My brothers used to joke with me that my mom was with another guy when she had me. I didn't believe that though. She was too nice to do that to my dad." He smiles at the memory. I wish I could meet his parents.

"Where are your brothers?" I ask him. His face instantly changes and I see him frown. Shit, Harry, look what you've done now. "Hey, listen, we don't have to talk about it. I'm sorry, Ricky. You wanna.." I look around the room for something to do. "Wanna play cards?" My eyes go to a deck of cards. I hop out of the bed and go to the shelf they are sitting on. I sit down on the concrete floor and motion for him to sit by me. Ricky get ups and sits in front of me.

I lay the cards out and shuffle them. "You know Go-Fish?" He nods. I deal the cards out and leave a pile in the middle.

We sit there for awhile enjoying ourselves. His face has so much excitement as he steals one of my cards. I shake my head and smile at him. As he wins and throws his cards in the air, he does a little victory dance. I laugh at him as he sings We Are The Champions.

"You're a goose, Ricky." I tease him.

He makes geese noises at me saying, "Honk honk!" He was being really silly. What do you expect from a kid though? He just wants to have fun and I don't blame him. Just then we hear footsteps rushing down the stairs. Me and Ricky both look up as we see Louis come around the corner. I glare at him and he catches my stare, giving me a confused look back.

"Why are you two up?" He asks me and Ricky.

"Shouldn't we be asking you the same thing?" I tell him.

"Okay, haha. Just wondering." He throws his hands up in front of his chest. I just wanna ask him right now what the hell him and Avery were doing, but I should do it when I have Louis alone. Not when there's an audience in the room with us. Louis plops down on his cot and rubs his face with his hands. The hands that most likely touched Avery. I've never been this way towards Louis. I don't quite understand it, but this is just eating at me. I need to get this resolved.