👻 chapter four 👻

The day had come that Keith and Zach had finally convinced Shane to let them have a sleepover at his house. Maybe, he thought, this would put an end to this ghost nonsense once and for all. It was a novel thought, really, and he even fooled himself into believing it for a little bit. However, as soon as his friends were standing on his front porch with expressions of mixed wonder and terror, he knew that this simply wouldn't be as easy as he had originally thought.

"Come in, come in," he said, grabbing both of their overnight bags from their hands to take them upstairs to his room for them. The two boys stepped over the threshold and surveyed the interior of the house, eyes wide as they analyzed every last detail presented before them. They seemed to be so entranced by the house that Shane had to clear his throat to get them to follow him upstairs.

Once the door was shut behind them, it seemed as if Keith and Zach got their confidence back.

"Do you know what room it happened in?" Keith asked, his curiosity dripping from his words.

"Uh," Shane stalled, "No. I haven't really thought about it much."

That was a lie. It wasn't as if the thought was keeping Shane awake at night, but he often found himself wondering as he walked around his house. Was the very kitchen he makes his morning toast in where Ryan Bergara was killed? What about the bathroom he showers in? Was the killer hiding behind the curtain, like Shane always feared as a kid? Some nights as he laid in bed, he even wondered if Ryan was killed in that very room. Usually, he was able to shake the thought and go on with his life, but it always came back.

"Maybe," Zach said, "we could ask him."

Shane stared at the short boy, the confusion and annoyance evident on his face. "Yeah, Zach? We could just ask him? Let me get out my ghost telephone and I'll just dial him up! 'Yeah, hey ghost! These assholes were just wondering where exactly you were brutally murdered in my house!'" He scoffed and crossed his arms.

Keith laughed. "No, we were thinking more, like. The spookier route."

Shane stared at him as well, baffled. "What. What does that mean?"

Zach turned and started to sort through the bag he brought until he laid his hands on the object he wanted. He turned back around to face the boys with the box in his arms.

Shane squinted at him. "So, you mean to tell me that you brought this fuckin' bullshit Hasbro, plastic ouija board to our sleepover because you want to talk to the fake ghost in my house?"

Both of the boys nodded enthusiastically. "Since you think it's so fake, why don't you just do it to humor us?" Keith asked, eliciting a sigh from Shane.

"Whatever," he said. "Let's just play video games like we said we were going to and we can do your spooky ouija board fuckery when it gets dark."

---

a/n: this is the first part of a double update today!!!