Chapter 3: Back

Nazneen's Point of View

  Today was the big day. I get dressed and go downstairs, sitting at the table, eating cereal.

       "Today's the big dayyyy." Nash teases.

  I nod.

       "What's the matter baby?"

       "I wish you were bringing me to my homecoming. I just miss you so much." I mumble.

       "My baby isn't sad now is she? Smile for me Nazneen. I miss your smile."

  I look up at my phone and smile. He smiles and I laugh.

       "My favorite sight to see." He says.

       "Good morningg!" My mom comes in the kitchen followed by my father, holding his daily cup of coffee.

       "Good morning." Nash responds happily.

       "How are you Nash? Seeing that Nazneen isn't in a good mood." My mom pops out from behind me.

  I get up to put my bowl in the sink.

       "I'm good. What about you?" He replies.

       "I'm perfect." My mom says.

  I roll my eyes as I sling my backpack over my shoulder, taking my phone.

       "Have a good day hunny." My dad pats my back.

       "Yep." I say as I walk out, sitting on the front step, waiting for Lindy.

       "Baby come on..don't be like that. I hate when you're upset."

       "I'm not upset. I'm just. I don't know ok?"

  Lindy pulls up and beeps the car even though I know she sees me.

       "Lindy's here. Got to go." I say and hang up.

  I feel a pang of guilt. I shouldn't of hung up on him like that. I get in the car and she takes off. I get a text from Ethan saying he'd pick me up from school. I respond with an 'ok' and leave it at that. As soon as I'm in school Lauren walks up to me.

       "How's Nash?" She teases.

       "He's fine." I respond flatly, stopping at my locker.

       "Heard that you're wearing a green dress to an 'Under the Stars' themed homecoming. What are you? The grass? She laughs.

       "Kinda thinking granny smith apples." I shrug, putting my books away.

  She scoffs and walks off. I take out the books I need and head to homeroom.

. . .

  School could not of been longer. I groan as the last bell rings. I get my backpack as Lindy walks up to me.

       "So Ethan's picking you up?" She asks and I nod."Is that why that's happening?" She points out of the door at a bunch of girls screaming, crowding around someone.

       "Most likely." I shrug.

  I see Lauren run out the door, screaming something about her idol being here. I laugh, following her. I stop on the stairs, trying to wave Ethan down. I could barely even see him, I took out my contacts last period because they were itching me. Lindy tries to help me. I stop trying and try to push through the growing crowd of my screaming classmates. I laugh watching the boys watch their girlfriends attack Ethan.