~Chapter 5~

Harriet's POV
My eyes flutter open.
I am immediately swarmed with pain again. I break into a sweat and start to hyperventilate. All I see is a bright light.
"Hello Harriet, I am Doctor Westwood. I was hoping you would stay unconscious for the operation, but now that you're awake, there's nothing we can do"
What? Procedure? What's happeni- AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
I felt the tip of a knife plunge into me. It was a pain worse that what I had endured! I screamed so much, but it seemed like the doctor was used to it. I tried to get out of the situation but my hands and feet were tied down with leather straps.
"Now now Harriet, this will be much easier if you do not protest, after all I am trying to help you. You see you have  your small intestine in a knot and I'm trying to make it better"
I could feel his hands fiddle around in my stomach. The pain was excruciating. I blacked out again.

I woke up in a dimly lit room. The pain was much less intense, but still there.
"Hello?" I called out.
"HELLO??"
A nurse came in. She was pretty, medium length brown hair, blue eyes, and a nice smile.
"Hello sweetheart, my name is Nurse Myra, how are you feeling?"
"Um, okay, better I think. What happened?"
"Well your small intestine was twisted so you had an operation to put it right again"
"That was so painful!!"
"I know darling, maybe in the future they'll create something so that patients can fall asleep during operations."
To my surprise, I started to cry.
"It's okay sweetie, the pain won't last for long, you'll probably be able to go home in a week or 2"
"It's not that, I want Mathias!"
"Who darling?"
"Mathias, we planned to run away from the foundling hospital together but then this happened! Please can you get someone to bring him??"
"A foundling hospital? Sorry honey, they won't allow any foundlings out to visit, but we'll send a letter saying that you're okay.

2 days later
Mathias' POV

I am worried sick about Harriet, no one has heard anything from her.
We got ready to go to chapel, but when we got there, we got a surprise.
Matron.
"Attention everyone, we have received news regarding Harriet Summers. It seems as if she had a twisted small intestine, so she had an operation to fix it. She is recovering in hospital."
An operation? I know about them, they're supposed to be extremely painful! Some people die from them! Oh I can't imagine what Harriet has gone through. I need to see her.