Chapter 17: Assumptions

Daniel and Ashlyn continued to smile at each other, even after the phone of Mrs. Ordeniro's classroom sounded twice. Mrs. Ordeniro haste-fully strutted over to answer the phone, rolling her eyes on her way there at the gazing pair of students. 

"Daniel," Mrs. Ordeniro called from over at the phone. 

Daniel quickly turned around to face the caller of his name.

"Mr. Jackson would like to see you in his office," she said glaring down at him. He could tell that she was still upset about what he did on the day before. He didn't think it was that serious.

Daniel sighed, already knowing what he'd be walking into. He hadn't noticed that everyone was staring at him until he stood up to leave. They were in complete silence. He slid his chair in, then suddenly felt a warm, soft hand slide under his. He looked down. Ashlyn was holding his hand. "Good luck," she spoke softly. But only enough for Daniel to hear.

Daniel shot her a half smile. "Thanks," he said sliding his hand out of hers. Then turned and walked out the door. 

* * *

"Why if it isn't Mr. Lehman." Mr. Jackson spoke as Daniel entered his office. "Number 41, star of the basketball team," he grinned.

Daniel smiled back and nodded his head. Mr. Jackson was a cool guy when he wanted to be, but he was more popularly known as the 'Notorious Douche'. Because, that's kind of what he was. He was also an old, black man that has been the assistant principle of this school since Daniel's mom was a junior. Karen Diggins knew exactly how feisty this man could get.

"Have a seat," he impaired, replacing his welcoming tone with a dead serious one. Daniel closed the door behind him, and then obediently took a seat on the cushioned chair. "We're skipping class now, Mr. Lehman?"

Daniel looked upward in exasperation. "Is that what she told you?"

"On this paper," Mr. Jackson began. He picked up a white piece of paper. The paper had black lines going across it, which was obviously for writing, but only about 3/4ths of those lines had words written on them. "it reads: 'Daniel Lehman walked out of class in the middle of a test on Thursday, September 18th. He was told to come back immediately, but he proceeded to walk down the hallway anyway.' Is this true?"

"I didn't eve-,"

"Is this true, Mr. Lehman. Yes or no?" Mr. Jackson said with much sternness in his voice.

Daniel sighed. "Yes. That is true."

"That is skipping."

"How?!" Daniel tried not to shout. "I came back!"

"You left the classroom without permission with no excusable emergency," Mr. Jackson stated placing the paper back on the desk.

"I'd like to think it was an emergency! I was seriously about to go crazy in that classroom. A lot has happened lately and I needed to just get away."

"That sounds like a problem for you and Mrs. O'Connor."

Daniel's eyes widened. "Who do you think I went to go see?!"

 Mr. Jackson held up his hand to get Daniel to stop talking. "Enough," he commanded. Daniel, in defeat, closed his mouth and sat back into his chair. Mr. Jackson pulled out a piece of paper from the corner of his desk and began to write on it. "What you did really deserved 3 days of out of school suspension. But believe it or not, I am an understanding person. I know senior year is stressful and dramatic, but you've got to gain some self control. Understand?"

"Yes, sir," Daniel replied in hopes of being let off the hook.

"Now I'm going to give you 2 days of ISS. Next Monday and Tuesday. I need you to understand that I'm doing you a favorBut you caused this problem. Not me." Daniel didn't think it was really fair to be suspended at all, but he couldn't ask for much. At least it's just ISS and not OSS.  Mr. Jackson finished up his writing session by scribbling his signature at the very bottom of the paper. Then folded it until it was a neat rectangle with three flaps. "Give this to your parents," Mr. Jackson spoke handing the paper over to Daniel. Once he received the paper, he stood up to leave. "I don't want to see you in this office for anything else like this again, Daniel." He nodded in understanding. Then backed out of the doorway.