Reigning Pain in New Orleans

Klaus was walking through the French Quarter.

Klaus: (voiceover) "My siblings and I are the first vampires in history."

Rebekah stepped closer to Elijah.

Klaus: (voiceover) "The Originals."

Elijah stood in an alley, looking at Sophie.

Klaus: (voiceover) "300 years ago, we helped build New Orleans."

In a flashback, Rebekah looked towards Klaus and the twins.

In a flashback, Elijah stood next to Celeste, smiling.

Klaus: (voiceover) "In our absence, a new king arose."

Marcel stood on the balcony in the compound, the vampires in the courtyard below cheered.

Klaus: (voiceover) "Now I've returned and taken his kingdom as my own."

Klaus was fighting off the vampires.

Marcel knelt on the ground and raised his head to look at Klaus.

Klaus smiled with blood on his lips and chin.

Klaus: (voiceover) "I had hoped this would bring our family together. I was wrong."

Klaus looked at Elijah and Rebekah. "I wanted our home back, so I'm going to live there and the two of you, you can stay here together and rot."

Klaus walked outside. "You're coming with me, little wolf."

Nina was sitting on the stairs outside the plantation house. "Why would I go anywhere with you?"

"Now, you can fight me on this, but you will lose," Klaus told her, opening the car door. "As will anyone else who tries to stop you getting in this car."

Nina glared at Klaus as she stood and walked towards him.

~*~*~

In the compound, Klaus, Nina, Marcel and the vampires were sitting around a table in the dining room.

Klaus raised his glass and tapped it a few times, standing. "Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift, immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows to diminish with time. But as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine."

Klaus gestured to the compelled servants, they each approached the vampires and sliced their wrists, letting the blood flow into the glasses.

"Insatiable need, exquisite pain. Our victories and our defeats," Klaus said, looking towards Marcel.

Marcel looked at Klaus.

Flashback

Rebekah sat next to Marcel in the Garden. "You can't afford your wounded pride. With Klaus in control of your empire, you need to give him what he craves most. Loyalty. Or at least the illusion of it."

Marcel looked at her. "I ambushed him, tried to bury him alive. He's not gonna trust me."

"He will because he wants your allegiance," Rebekah told him. "Speaking from experience, I know that if you play the part, all is forgiven. But if you give him any reason to doubt you, he will strike back." Rebekah placed her hand on his knee. "Make me a promise, Marcel. You will do whatever it takes to stay alive."