Cold Coffee

She's like cold coffee in the morning...she'll make me shiver without warning... and for goodness sake, will my love not be enough?
-Ed Sheeran

~~~~~

Val was one of those people who literally cannot function in the morning without at least a drop of coffee.

Jenna, his girlfriend at the time, had tea every morning. She hated coffee with a burning passion.

"Good morning."

"Morning, Babe." Val turned the page of the newspaper.

There was something about the eyes of hers that pierced Val's soul so deeply when they made eye contact that he knew something was up.

"What's with you and Sharna?" She spoke while looked at her phone.

"Excuse me?" He set the paper down.

"You and Sharna."

"What about Sharna?"

"The photos. You two were sitting on the couch all snuggled up together all night!"

"Do you understand the situation that girl is in right now? I am her best friend and my job is to help her!"

"But you're dating me."

"THAT GIRL IS IN AN EMOTIONALLY SCARING SITUATION! SHE HAS NOWHERE TO FEEL SAFE ANYMORE! I NEED TO CARE FOR HER! SHE FEELS I AM HER ONLY FRIEND AT THIS POINT, AND IF YOU THINK THERE'S ANYTHING MORE BETWEEN US THEN YOU'RE DELUSIONAL!"

Jenna tried to calm herself, but she couldn't and lost all handles.

Jenna grabbed her phone and keys, and left.

The apartment.

For good.

She's gone.

They're over.

Val sat back down and sipped the now cold coffee. The coffee that very strongly reminded him of Jenna Johnson.