Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Blake was bombarded with hugs from relatives who were jostling each other to get to him, barely waiting until his feet were planted on the deck. Nick hung back to help me up onto the boat, while I tried to make myself invisible or, at best, scarce, until it was absolutely necessary for an introduction.

The attention didn't stay on Blake for nearly as long as I'd hoped it would, because while the  first wave of people showered Blake with attention, the others seemed to remember all at once that I was with him. My anxiety for this trip tripled when I saw someone pushing through the crowd surrounding him in search of me. 'Callie! Oh my god!'

I heaved a sigh of relief at the familiar face. Blake's sister was the only person form Blake's family who I'd already met. She'd arrived at Blake's apartment shortly after he and I had met, and had stayed for a month. We'd kept in contact since then, and I could tell our friendship would only strengthen over the next week. 'Lexi.' There aren't many people I felt comfortable hugging, but it turned out Lexi was one of them. As soon as Blake had introduced me to her, she'd acted like I was already part of her family, and although her exuberance and persistence had freaked me out for a while, I was grateful, without her Blake and I wouldn't still be together. 'I feel like a midget.'

Lexi laughed, throwing her head back. 'Oh Callie, you would. It's a nice feeling isn't it?' One of the reasons I'd connected with Lexi so well, was our height. I'd grown up the tallest in the room, and for a long time the only person I'd known to be taller than me was my step-dad, and then eventually my brother. When Blake had strolled, ever so casually, into my life, he had been a godsend, all my dreams piled up to the perfect height.  'It's been way too long. These losers all hang out together, but all my friends, except you, are short. They don't relate to it the same way as you do.'

'I can already guess what the best thing is about coming home for you.'

Lexi grinned and nodded her head, 'If you're thinking it's the heels, than you are absolutely correct. Except they're not really suitable for the farm.' She watched Blake for a minute snorting as she shook her head seemingly disappointed with her relatives. 'You'd think he hadn't seen them in years. It's hasn't even been three months.'

'It's because he missed the last two get togethers.' Nick supplied, he had a beautiful blonde draped around his waist with a charming smile spread across her glossy lips and, unlike Lexi, she wasn't shy wearing heels on the boat. 'Callie, this is Klara, Klara, this is Callie.'

'Blake's girl, right?' the leggy blonde held out a slender hand for mine, and I took it hesitantly, feeling awkward and awestruck at the same time.

I nodded, somewhat speechless, while Lexi added her opinion, covering for whatever wires had sprung loose in my brain to stop all functions, 'and my newest best friend, because family is family.'

'How long have you and Blake been together?'

My answer was cut off by the arms that snaked their way around my waist, tension built in my body until I heard his calm, cool breath in my ear, 'Just under a year, right Callie?'

Looking over my shoulder so I could see him, Blake looked proud that he could answer the question himself. I shrugged, feeling the weight of his arm as I moved, a comforting presence that reminded me that he was there. I prayed he wouldn't leave me to fend for myself as the day went on, and that I had the strength to get through the coming week. 'I guess so.'

'What?' Blake's jaw dropped and his eyes sparkled with amusement. 'Do you even remember what day we got together?' If I didn't come up with a date I knew he would tease me relentlessly, I tried to think about what day I started classes, but Blake's questioning gaze stumped me.