Chapter Three - The First Date

Over the next few days, Adam and I talked whenever he wasn't at work. I was still being my usual bored self and applying for jobs, but nothing was coming up in my favour. It was getting frustrating so I decided to take a break from applying for like, a week. It was only June, so I had the whole summer to apply.

On Thursday, Adam asked if I wanted to hang out with him on Saturday, a week after we had first met. I agreed, and told Nessa. She was happy for me, and that it was working out so well. I was so excited, that I started picking out my outfit that night.

When Saturday finally came, I waited eagerly for Adam to pick me up. He was going to meet my parents (yes, even though I was twenty-five, my parents still wanted to meet any potential male love interest) and then we were going for a walk in the park in Rochdale. Seeing as I lived outside of Rochdale, it would be about a fifteen minute drive. I was impressed that he was going out so far to pick me up. Most people I had known, didn't want to drive this distance outside of town. I was about ten minutes outside of town but fifteen minutes away from his house and downtown Rochdale.

My heart was beating hard, and with a half hour before he was due, I was all ready, make up and everything. I never wore too much make up, just enough to cover the blemishes, but he knew what my natural face looked like as I had showed him a selfie earlier in the week. Plus he could creep my Facebook photos whenever he wanted.

I was trying hard not to bite my nails (as I had just painted them) while staring out the window of the living room into the driveway. On the other side of the main road, all you could see was trees. It was nice not to have neighbours invading your privacy all the time. I was used to growing up in the country, I'd lived here all my life.

I kept watching my phone for some sign that he had canceled at the last minute, but nothing besides telling me he'd be leaving to get me soon. I just expected everyone to cancel because that's what most of my former friends had done. Even Nessa sometimes did it, but now that we were adults, everyone had their own lives. They couldn't be there at the drop of a hat just because I was bored.

I wasn't going to expect Adam to spend all his free days with me, either. He needed some time to himself. He said he was an extrovert when it came to being social, he enjoyed time with his friends but also enjoyed his own time when he could get it.

Finally, he showed up, and my mom came out of the kitchen when she heard the car pull in the driveway. "That's him?" she asked when he got out of his car and walked up the steps to the front door.

Nodding, I went to the door and opened it. Wow, he looked good in person without his mask. I wasn't put off that he didn't have abs. He was still handsome, to me.

"Hey there, Fay," he grinned at me, looking me up and down.

I smiled back, feeling my face heat up. "Hey. Adam, this is my mom, Tina. You can call her Tina."

"Hi Tina, nice to meet you," Adam reached out to shake her hand.

"Nice to meet you, too. Where are you two going today?" My mom asked.

"Just to the park then to get some lunch, probably," Adam answered for me.

"Alright, have fun. See you later. No, there's no time limit, she's old enough to come home whenever she wants," my mom laughed.

I giggled and Adam led the way back out the door to his car. It was a nice black 2010 Honda Civic, with chrome trim. I approved, and the interior was definitely cool and modern looking.