Chapter Five - To the Rescue

The next thing I remembered was waking up still lying on the couch, feeling dizzy. I had to lean my head over to puke onto the floor because I felt so bad.

I realized then that my hands were untied, so I pulled them from behind my back, rubbing my wrists where they had tied me up.

I also noticed that the apartment was quiet. What time was it? My mother was probably worried, I hadn't told her I'd be staying this late. Checking my phone, I realized it was one AM and mom had texted me a few times saying that she hadn't heard from me since I left and wanted to know where I was. In one sense it annoyed me because I was twenty-five and should be able to stay out as late as I wanted without her being worried about me. But in another way, she apparently had a right to be worried this time. I had been drugged and tied up by my own best friend.

Was it some kind of drunk prank? I still felt terrible, like a little dizzy and light-headed, and had a bad headache. I wanted to go home, but the girls were probably all passed out cold. I was not in good shape to drive, either.

I wanted to call my mom, but she had to work tomorrow and needed rest. I texted her instead, letting her know that I was at Nessa's longer than I'd thought. Usually one text message wouldn't wake her up.

Since Adam was the last one I'd texted before my mom, his name was next on my list. He'd also messaged me a few times, asking where I'd gone and telling me that him and his mom were back at home. The last message had been a half hour ago. I hoped and prayed that he was still awake as I called his number.

He picked up on the second ring. "Hey Fay, what's up? I knew you went with Nessa but didn't expect you to stop talking to me all day," he joked.

My voice quivered as I spoke, and it was barely above a whisper. "I-I'm still at Nessa's but something happened. I'm sick and want to come home, but I can't drive. I don't normally ask for favours but mom's asleep and you're the only other one I can rely on right now."

Adam's joking tone faded when he heard my voice. "Wow, Fay, are you okay? What happened? I'll be there as soon as I can. You sound terrible."

"I think Nessa d-drugged my drink. I told her I didn't want a s-second one but they were all laughing at me..." I tried to explain, feeling dizzy again. Since Nessa had an apartment, I knew I would have to go downstairs by myself, but I had no idea how I would manage that one.

"What? I thought she was your friend?" Adam questioned. "Never mind, tell me when I get there."

When I hung up, I managed to pull myself together long enough to sit up slowly. I avoided putting my feet down in the puke next to the couch, it took me several minutes to see straight enough to try standing up. My stomach was doing flip flops but not in the good way this time. It took everything I had in me not to puke again. I found my purse and stumbled out of the door, closing it quietly behind me.

Thankfully, Nessa was only a few floors up, so the elevator ride wasn't too long. Motion sickness wasn't making me feel any better though, and I knew I was going to have a hard time controlling my puking in Adam's car.

Adam texted me that he was here, and I met him at the front doors. When I saw his car outside, I went out and he got out of his car to help me get in.

"Wow, you look awful. If you have to puke at any time, tell me so I can pull over. Don't be shy about it," Adam said sternly, and I nodded.

It was one of the longest drives ever, with me holding in puke for the first five minutes before having to tell him to pull over and throwing up on the side of the road. Another few minutes down the road, and I still couldn't take it.